Older Pool Surface Question

Jul 27, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I have a Roman style pool build in 1978. 12,000 gallon with a SWG. The surface is a slightly rough medium grey colored concrete I think. I can see where there are a few remnants of paint on it. I have been told that painting only lasts a few years. I am starting to get algae down in a couple chipped spots. Any ideas on a surface to apply. The border and tile seems solid. I think a tree root is pushing on the skimmer basket as the pool is surrounded by oak trees.

Andy

Are you looking to avoid a new plaster job? How long do you think you can wait...?

Maddie :flower:

I don't think it was ever plastered, just painted. The smooth grey concrete (gunnite?) is flush with the tile one the sides and on the stairs.

I have been told by pool people that I have to keep it painted, but paint will need redone every few years. Not really sure what to do with the surface.

It is quite a bucolic setting. But those trees must be a challenge to the pool, huh?
Maddie :flower:

We just finished with a oak leaf roller caterpillar infestation. The Polaris bag was filling up with caterpillar dropping. Unless we get a lot of summer oak leaf drop, we are good till fall for material falling in. I used to use liquid chlorine from home depot, couple gallons a week and then adding acid to fix the ph. The SWG keeps the water pretty good.

I had to google bucolic. Bucolic describes it well. Or perhaps very bucolic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was quoted around $8k for new white plaster, bead blast the waterline tile, replace the step tile, suction cover and three eyeball fittings. But they are booked out till November. I carefully followed the SLAM procedure and hopefully it will stay good if I keep after the spots.

Andy
Hi Andy, that quote sounds pretty good, but if you are wanting to compare a few places let me know. I'm in your area and know a couple good companies.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.