Old Style Sylvan Skimmer/Plumbing

May 21, 2016
Harford County, MD
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is anyone very familiar with this plumbing setup for older Sylvan pools? I just opened my pool for the season. Everything is fine except I lost a couple tiles after I finished my SLAM. So chemistry is all set and now I’m trying to figure out what to do.

The tiles are at a corner and have fallen off before. I used marine grade caulk/sealant to reattach them and got three years out of it. I should have checked before getting everything set, but here we are.

Trying to figure out if it’s even possible to drain below the tile line but still keep the pump running. I only have two suction lines; one for each skimmer. Would isolating the main drain be as simple as plugging the hole in the bottom of the skimmer?

Welcome any suggestions!

1653960107000.jpeg

Yes, but draining with the filter pump is not the best way. Better to rent, or purchase, a submersible pump and do it that way.

Sylvan skimmers came with a small flap in the bottom to adjust flow from the main drain and a separate plug to shut the skimmer suction.

Yes, but draining with the filter pump is not the best way. Better to rent, or purchase, a submersible pump and do it that way.

Sylvan skimmers came with a small flap in the bottom to adjust flow from the main drain and a separate plug to shut the skimmer suction.
Thanks. I’ve got a couple pumps I can use.

I don’t have any flaps as far as I know. As far as the plug to shut skimmer - is there a special one needed? Or a rubber one will do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.