Old School Closing

Aug 30, 2018
Rochester Hills
Hello,

I have an "old school" pool guy. Since I have read all of the pool school articles I think my guy would fit in great here. The issue is that he is recommend a pool closing that is very different from what is provided here.

The pool is in southern Michigan. To be clear about the temps. The pool has a solid pool safety cover with the mesh drain in the center.

He is recommending that I pull the water down to 4" below the returns. Pour 6 gallons of liquid chlorine into the pool. Toss the cover on it and call it a day.

Does this seem reasonable to all?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP.

Please Read This BEFORE You Post and put details of your pool in your signature.

What type of pool surface do you have? What equipment do you have that should be winterized?

As already mentioned we need more info, especially pool volume.

6 gallons of 10% bleach in a 30K gallon pool would raise FC to 20ppm

6 gallons of 10% bleach in a 10K gallon pool would raise FC to 60ppm

Quite the difference.

He is recommending that I pull the water down to 4" below the returns. Pour 6 gallons of liquid chlorine into the pool. Toss the cover on it and call it a day.

Please provide a little more information. Is he recommending running the pump for a day or so, but this would not make sense as water below returns. The pump should always be on when adding liquid chlorine.

Considering your state is real cold compared to NJ, I would have the pool closed the old fashion way with clearing the lines with air, locking the main drain, etc. Consider the damage that can be caused from a harsh winter. Also, in this situation, I would recommend anti-freeze, which is something I do not use, but your weather is very different than ours. Thanks!

Hello,

I have an "old school" pool guy. Since I have read all of the pool school articles I think my guy would fit in great here. The issue is that he is recommend a pool closing that is very different from what is provided here.

The pool is in southern Michigan. To be clear about the temps. The pool has a solid pool safety cover with the mesh drain in the center.

Does this seem reasonable to all?

Thanks in advance.

That is old school, he is from the black poly gray fitting buried in collar era..

Frankly, that doesn’t jive with me it’s paramount to purge piping and mechanicals. In fact a system can endure a handful of bad closings before a failure, joints weaken but don’t fail right away. This gives a false sense of a successful winterization. In my climate & yours there should be nothing but wind in the pipes.

In my climate & yours there should be nothing but wind in the pipes.

In total agreement. This is not a 6" underground sprinkler system that can easily be dug up and repaired if necessary, but a project that would cost thousands if not more to fix the right way. Not worth the risk. Clear the lines properly, if not find someone else to do the job right. Plus, anti-freeze should be used in this situation.

Thank you all for responding to my post. I updated my signature. I had a pneumonia and it was brutal.

The pool is 23k gallons.

How does one clear the lines properly? Are you specifically talking about the return lines? Do I need to add a special fitting and use an air compressor or can I simply remove my SWG cell and wrap a rag around the end and fire the air compressor in?

Do I have to purge or do anything with the skimmer area?

Thanks to all

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like I need to create a modified lid for my pump and get an air blowing machine.... Wish me luck.

What exactly are you using to clear the lines? Air compressor, blower, professional pool blower? There are ways around this. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

My neighbor has a 40 yr old poly pipe pool, doesn’t do a thing but stuff some cut up pool noodles in his skimmer, drain the filter and pump. 40 years without anything failing lolHe laughs when he sees me blowing my lines out.

I believe the Poly Pipe is the black expandable piping that is the same that is used in sprinklers. Personally, the cost of correction a problem underground can be so expensive, that one would be better off clearing the pipes of water, no matter what the design is. Then again, anything could possibly go wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.