Silver Supporter
Aug 9, 2020
Carefree AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We will be re-re-tiling our pool deck at the end of the month. Need to drain pool for about one week due to anticipated mess. I could not find a thread for pool startup on used pebble-tec (not a new build).

Also, It’s still hot here (Carefree AZ). Tile guy says pebble tec not at risk for one week.

Pretty much just add chlorine, CYA, and acid to get your pool chemistry levels to Recommended Levels. Appears you use liquid chlorine to chlorinate. So at that time of year, target 30-40 ppm CYA. Fill water should have all the calcium you will need.

Not sure about the Pebble Tec supposedly immune to dry and heat. But by October 1, the sun angle is such that it should not overheat badly.

Pretty much just add chlorine, CYA, and acid to get your pool chemistry levels to Recommended Levels. Appears you use liquid chlorine to chlorinate. So at that time of year, target 30-40 ppm CYA. Fill water should have all the calcium you will need.

Not sure about the Pebble Tec supposedly immune to dry and heat. But by October 1, the sun angle is such that it should not overheat badly.
Thank you. Assuming.. test water for starting point, use acid or ash to adjust pH, Wait 24 hours, then add chlorine. Also looking for location on blog to buy the TFP test kit. Figured that would be best for future discussions.

Thank you. Assuming.. test water for starting point, use acid or ash to adjust pH, Wait 24 hours, then add chlorine. Also looking for location on blog to buy the TFP test kit. Figured that would be best for future discussions.
Isn’t there some sort of conditioner type product that you add for new water? Is that the CYA? Just checked pool school. Got it. Is that the stabilization?

Conditioner is CYA.

TFTestkits.net is where to buy the TF100. Get the Speedstir too.

Test your fill water when you get the kit.

Once the pool is full and pump running, add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine. Start 30 ppm worth of CYA dissolving using the sock method. Test pH and TA and adjust pH to the 7's. Test CH to confirm its level. Maintain FC based on FC/CYA Levels

Conditioner is CYA.

TFTestkits.net is where to buy the TF100. Get the Speedstir too.

Test your fill water when you get the kit.

Once the pool is full and pump running, add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine. Start 30 ppm worth of CYA dissolving using the sock method. Test pH and TA and adjust pH to the 7's. Test CH to confirm its level. Maintain FC based on FC/CYA Levels
Thanks so much. Assuming I will want to adjust to pool volume of 12K gal? Or do you already know this based on profile? ;)

I did not tell you volumes, I told you levels. You use Poolmath with your pool volume to determine the amount of each chemical you need to add.

Reactions: CarefreeTee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know this is not what you're asking, just another point of view here, and a non-expert-in-this-field one at that (plus, I'm not in your area). But if I can help it, I'll never empty my pool again (long story). I would do whatever it took. Cover the pool. Vacuum it every day after work is done. Lower it just enough to perform the tile work. Clean up the mess afterwards, whatever. Especially if the finish is old-ish. "Tile guy says pebble tec not at risk..." What does he know about it? Is he going to pay for any repairs? Or replacement? The water is part of the structure of a pool. In a perfect storm, you relieve the pressure the water is applying to the finish, especially in the heat, for a week, and that can compromise the finish. You definitely wouldn't want to do that with plaster, and PebbleTec is composed of plaster.

And you're assuming the job will go well, no material issues, no flaking workers, no delays, etc.

The "tile guy" doesn't want to get wet, or do extensive masking or bending over or any extra work, great. It's not his pool. He'll just give you a blank stare and a shrug if there's a problem. At the very least I would call PebbleTec and have them weigh in on this before you drain. If they are 100% OK with their product being dry and exposed like that for a week or more, then I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong.

And if emptying is the only way, then I'd arrange with the contractor that that be done in the shortest time possible. Prep, prep, prep, drain, cut out the old tile/copoing/deck, then fill same day. Plenty of pools get the deck, coping and tile done after they've been filled. It doesn't need to sit empty for more than a day (IMO)...

My apologies if I'm out of line (or dead wrong). Just want to give you something to check on, instead of relying on the tile guy about this...

As I understand it - you are re-tiling the deck - not the water line tiles. So you anticipate debris flying into the pool from the removal of the old decking. Am I on the right track? Why not buy some tarps and put over the pool? That is what we did when we cut down, grinded stumps and removed palm trees from behind the pool. I am on same page with @Dirk - don't jeopardize the pool integrity if you can avoid it. If you have an empty pool the contractor more likely to use it as a trash dump - be ever so watchful!!!!!

If you decide to drain, go to your pebble tec suppliers web page they should have a PDF file for start up. Mine was put in by Wet Edge Technologies and I just visited their website and found a recommended startup process. Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.