Old hot tub guy looking to learn new tricks...

Ok, today... full test.. no soak last night but one this morning.
FC still at 2
CYA maybe a hair over 40
TA 30
PH 7.8!!!
This is the first day since switching methods I have not had to add MA!
So stabilizing out I hope... we will see what it says tomorrow!

Reactions: jseyfert3
Again testing is done after two uses of the tub, I adjust it in the morning after a soak , then it gets used at night and again in the morning, then the new test...
[/QUOTE]

Not sure what the recommended time to test is, or maybe it doesn't really matter, idk, just throwing this out here. I usually test when my spa has been at rest for a while, don't have a 24hr circ pump. Spa is programmed to run two, two hour cleaning cycles a day which turns the pump on low. What I do is, between cleaning cycles, I'll turn the pump on low and let it circulate for 2-3 minutes and then take a sample. I feel this gives me my low PH number before too much aeration takes place and raises it (I don't have an air control, it just automatically comes on with the pump). My TA is low also, 30-40, to keep my PH about 7.5. I only use a little MA about every 2-3 weeks. Sounds like you're very close.

Reactions: A.O.
Again testing is done after two uses of the tub, I adjust it in the morning after a soak , then it gets used at night and again in the morning, then the new test...

Not sure what the recommended time to test is, or maybe it doesn't really matter, idk, just throwing this out here. I usually test when my spa has been at rest for a while, don't have a 24hr circ pump. Spa is programmed to run two, two hour cleaning cycles a day which turns the pump on low. What I do is, between cleaning cycles, I'll turn the pump on low and let it circulate for 2-3 minutes and then take a sample. I feel this gives me my low PH number before too much aeration takes place and raises it (I don't have an air control, it just automatically comes on with the pump). My TA is low also, 30-40, to keep my PH about 7.5. I only use a little MA about every 2-3 weeks. Sounds like you're very close.
[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if there is a "recommended time" to test or not. I also do not have a 24 hr circulating pump (yay) and have mine set up for 2 two hour cleaning cycles a day as well, both set up to run just before the time we normally use the tub to assure the temp is perfect when we get in. And I normally test about an hour or so after the morning soak so my tub has been idle a while when I test it too.
And I'm hoping I'm very close.

Reactions: CuckooChris
Ok, if you're interested... After my soak last night I added 2.5 oz CL
Todays test.. after morning soak..
FC about 3
PH 7.6 ish
TA still at 40
Third day in a row no need to add MA , YAY!! Things are looking up
And I'll continue to add CL after the evenings soak so it doesn't get so low in between, I'll stay at about the 2.5 oz per day and see how it goes...

I'm starting to believe!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.