Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Father-in-law gave me an old Dolphin Diagnostic that had been sitting in his garage for years (someone gave it to him).

I said I'd take it as I was looking for a robot (actually already ordered a Maytronics S200).

I tossed it in the pool and it drives around but in general it only goes back and forth in one area. My pool is not big but it will only clean [poorly] about 10% of the pool. The rest of the pool it doesn't even drive to. It also seems to have some difficulty driving up walls even though the top jet that holds it to the vertical wall does work.

Is it worth it to fix it? And if so, any ideas of what has it driving from one side to the other, then right back over the same spot indefinitely?

pf,

I have two of them still working today in rent house pools... They are slow and take about three hours to clean a pool. They only go up to the water line once out of 4 or 5 trips...

I swear if you stand and watch them they some how know and won't do what you want... :p

They work better if you wash the bag in your cloth washer once in a while. A dirty bag will keep in on the bottom.

The only thing you can fix is bearings and tracks.. All the electronics are in the motor and once it goes you can kiss it good by...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The older Diagnostic models were fussy and a pain in the rear (hate, hate, hate the canvas filter bag). The handles need to be adjusted as per the link below:

How To Operate A Maytronics Dolphin Cleaner - INYOPools.com
This could be part of the problem as I don't have the handle slanted. But this robot doesn't even make it to the waterline.

I'll change the handle and see if it makes any difference.

I agree about the bag. Hate that it is bottom mounted too.

pf,

I have two of them still working today in rent house pools... They are slow and take about three hours to clean a pool. They only go up to the water line once out of 4 or 5 trips...

I swear if you stand and watch them they some how know and won't do what you want... :p

They work better if you wash the bag in your cloth washer once in a while. A dirty bag will keep in on the bottom.

The only thing you can fix is bearings and tracks.. All the electronics are in the motor and once it goes you can kiss it good by...

Thanks,

Jim R.
I washed the bag out with the hose real good, but maybe it needs a washer cycle.

Overall, since I have a S200 coming on Friday I'm mainly looking to "repair" and sell or give back to my FIL.

pf,

I was repairing these things long before the new top loading versions came out. At that time it made a little sense, as I have more time than money... :p

But now, when these units bit the dust, unless it is something very simple, I'm buying the new top loading units...

Thanks,

Jim R.

pf,

I was repairing these things long before the new top loading versions came out. At that time it made a little sense, as I have more time than money... :p

But now, when these units bit the dust, unless it is something very simple, I'm buying the new top loading units...

Thanks,

Jim R.

My unit is a little different than the link provided above in that the handle only has two slots on each side - all the way forward or all the way back. I'd assume it operates the same though.

The unit is in the water and I feel it is not much better. It still cleans the same spot and mainly never climbs the wall all the way. I'll let it go for a while just in case it is doing some algorithm that I don't understand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.