Old Anthony & Sylvan Gunite Pool Return

Jul 6, 2016
Princeton, NJ
IMG_6398.jpegHello TFP community, this is the pic of my pool inlet return. The fitting was missing when I first got the house and pool. I put a 1” pvc elbow which doesn’t screw in properly, but stays put and of course sticks out from the wall. The female thread is a tad larger than a 1” and yet 1-1/4” doesn’t fit. Not sure what will fit. Also noticed the two tabs for screws.
Has anyone come across a return like this? Any advice for me, what part or kit to get the return proper again (eg. Put an eyeball or something there)?
Thank you in advance! Any thought/pointer is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 509591Hello TFP community, this is the pic of my pool inlet return. The fitting was missing when I first got the house and pool. I put a 1” pvc elbow which doesn’t screw in properly, but stays put and of course sticks out from the wall. The female thread is a tad larger than a 1” and yet 1-1/4” doesn’t fit. Not sure what will fit. Also noticed the two tabs for screws.
Has anyone come across a return like this? Any advice for me, what part or kit to get the return proper again (eg. Put an eyeball or something there)?
Thank you in advance! Any thought/pointer is greatly appreciated.
Years ago I would have to cover an open port like that in old commercial pools (hotel, apartment, etc.). As the original fittings are no longer made or available, I would use these Waterway 642-3837V suction covers. They come in white as well. Water will flow out as well with very little restriction. You lose any directional flow, but it removes a danger from the pool. Yes, the pool had to be drilled with a masonry bit and anchors installed in the wall, but that will not cause a leak in a plaster pool.
shopping

Reactions: Samchik
You don't need to install anything.

I would just leave it as it is.
Thanks for your thoughts. It is the only return inlet. I need to have a circulation so the debris is brought near the skimmer and sucked in by the skimmer. Else all the leaves end up near the steps. I am using a make shift pvc elbow with a 1” male thread that doesn’t screw in properly. That’s the situation I am in.

Years ago I would have to cover an open port like that in old commercial pools (hotel, apartment, etc.). As the original fittings are no longer made or available, I would use these Waterway 642-3837V suction covers. They come in white as well. Water will flow out as well with very little restriction. You lose any directional flow, but it removes a danger from the pool. Yes, the pool had to be drilled with a masonry bit and anchors installed in the wall, but that will not cause a leak in a plaster pool.
shopping

Thanks for the helpful answer - you hit it on the head, I am looking to install an eyeball or similar fitting to effect directional flow, if possible. I will look up the fitting you’ve mentioned as well.
Cheers!
Samchik

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.