Ok Experts anything wrong with this Plumbing job?

If there is enough room to run straight pipe, no, the loop is not needed. It is best to have 12" of straight pipe before the SWCG. If it is a bit less, the only thing that may happen is the pump rpm might have to be a bit higher to have the flow switch close.

If there is enough room to run straight pipe, no, the loop is not needed. It is best to have 12" of straight pipe before the SWCG. If it is a bit less, the only thing that may happen is the pump rpm might have to be a bit higher to have the flow switch close.
There is enough room if he runs it straight along the ground then uses a couple 90's to go back toward the return pipe, and in the straightaway install the ssg and then into the return line. However, it will be really low to ground with maybe only 6-8 inches of pipe sticking out of the ground. Is this OK you think or any other way you can see?

Is this OK you think or any other way you can see?
As long as the area does not get flooded during storms, should be no issue. They can still do a loop if they want, they just need to install the SWCG in the upflow side.

So another quick question does the Intelliflo VSF pump accept 2.5" pipe or only 2"? I ask because my pipes coming from the skimmers are 2.5" and then going back to returns it becomes 2" or does somewhere along the way like the DE 100 filter or AquaCal SQ225 or IC40 change it to 2"?

Thanks!

Also, what is the proper way to pipe the 3 waterfalls. The pvc on far left is 2.5" then the other 2 pvc pipes to the right of that are 2". I will have the pb change the pump pipes to 3" in and out. I have 2 intellivalves for the waterfalls, can someone show me a quick diagram of the best way to pipe these using both intellivalves so that I remotely shutoff just the big waterfall or just the 2 smaller waterfalls. I want to be sure they are doing it right.

Thank you for all the help so far guys I really appreciate!

Attachments

• 20210414_171345.jpg
    20210414_171345.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 6
The inlet and outlet are 2" threaded. You can use reducer bushings to go from the 2.5" pipe to the 2" inlet fitting.
But will that do anything for me since it is short runs to each or? Basically is it worth me having the PB change it out to 2.5" pipe instead of the 2" he ran already? How about for my waterfall layout can you help with best way to run those pipes with 2 valves?

Thanks!

This is what I had in mind, I wouldn't want it super low to the ground myself. At least, I think this is acceptable.

View attachment 323286
Ya I figured that's probably the best way. Also, got off the phone with Aquacal regarding the heat pump and they strongly suggested a check valve on the out portion of the heater and then at least 8" min to the chlorinator.

strongly suggested a check valve on the out portion of the heater and then at least 8" min to the chlorinator.
Why? The SWCG does not create a strong chlorine mix. It is at best 1 or 2 ppm greater than the water coming into it. The check valve between a chlorinator and a heater is a carry over from the trichlor days. You had to have a check valve there (and even that does not work well) as the trichlor created a very acidic solution that would back up into the heater and destroy it. The SWCG does not do any of that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why? The SWCG does not create a strong chlorine mix. It is at best 1 or 2 ppm greater than the water coming into it. The check valve between a chlorinator and a heater is a carry over from the trichlor days. You had to have a check valve there (and even that does not work well) as the trichlor created a very acidic solution that would back up into the heater and destroy it. The SWCG does not do any of that.
That's what I though too, but when I called aquacal, he is a field service tech in NY said he seen many go bad because of no check valve. I then asked him wasn't the titanium heating elements impervious to salt and all that stuff and he said no. Then he strongly recommended the check valve only on the out side of it.

Ok update to our situation. The pool builder owner was out today and he was NOT happy when he saw that his crew put in a 90 degree ABS elbow. I told him how I wanted everything such as 3" in and out of the XF pump, fixing the chlorinator and adding a check valve, and putting my 3 led 5g lights on each of their own relays and he was totally fine with all my requests. He let me know when I want something such as larger pipe or adding something not normally done,, and his crew isn't sure then I should call him directly. He will be out tmrw to work on this stuff and they are aiming to get the pool inspected tmrw evening. We will see keep fingers crossed.

Glad to hear that, I feel like more often than not it's the subs that just come up with stuff on their own but like you found the PB really does have your best interest in mind. Had a similar issue where I specifically selected a VS pump (standard recipe was single speed), the pump has an integrated schedule function but the electricians wired it to a mechanical timer. I prepped for an argument and was ready to justify my reasons, PB said "oh Dang, yeah you don't need that, I'll get them back out tomorrow" and that was that.

Glad to hear that, I feel like more often than not it's the subs that just come up with stuff on their own but like you found the PB really does have your best interest in mind. Had a similar issue where I specifically selected a VS pump (standard recipe was single speed), the pump has an integrated schedule function but the electricians wired it to a mechanical timer. I prepped for an argument and was ready to justify my reasons, PB said "oh Dang, yeah you don't need that, I'll get them back out tomorrow" and that was that.
How about piping the waterfalls... coming off 3" pipe then needing to go to a single 2.5" and also 2- 2" pipes how can we plumb it so I can turn on the 2 - 2" pipes together and then turn on the 2.5" waterfall pipe with those or by itself?

Last edited:
No. The SWCG must be installed with the flow up. In its current position, if the flow switch fails, it can fail closed. If the SWCG generates chlorine inadvertently without flow through it, it can explode. Does not happen often, but does happen.
I'm curious on this. Mine is installed the same way along with 3 neighbors on my street, PB & Pentair all agree not an issue which direction it is pointed.

I'm curious on this. Mine is installed the same way along with 3 neighbors on my street, PB & Pentair all agree not an issue which direction

I'm curious on this. Mine is installed the same way along with 3 neighbors on my street, PB & Pentair all agree not an issue which direction it is pointed.
You may want to contact pentair again because I spoke to 2 tech guys and sent them the pic and they said no way you can't install it like that no matter what....just fyi.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.