philadelphia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi....I saw someone else post about this a few years ago but that thread is closed and I didn't see a resolution. I am baffled by this. Pool is only a year old. This year I have noticed this oily residue in the morning after I open the cover. We have our nephews over a lot so my wife and I just assumed it was suntan lotion and oils and stuff. And it goes away after a bit and you can also get rid of it with putting an old shirt around the skimmer net and soaking it up. There is also a strange smell when the cover is on. It's like a chemical. Can't quite explain it. Don't smell it when the cover is open though.

Last night we left the cover open and the pool looks as clear as can be. In the first two pictures you can see the oily residue and the bottom one was from this morning. Chemicals are balanced. As of yesterday the LSI was -.05. The cover is only a year old so still under warranty. Going to call them but figured I'd check here for any advice first. TIA!
First two pics you can see the residue. Pics were taken just after taking the cover off:
1690817930743.png

1690817948053.png

This was from this morning, a night after the cover was off:

1690817966397.png

The cover pump is probably leaking oil.

The oil coats the top of the cover and then the oil transfers to the bottom when the cover is rolled up.

The oil transfers to the water when the cover is closed.

The cover pump is probably leaking oil.

The oil coats the top of the cover and then the oil transfers to the bottom when the cover is rolled up.

The oil transfers to the water when the cover is closed.
Yeah that seems like a reasonable excuse. I will contact coverstar

Good thought on the cover pump idea.

And as another thought, I wanted to make sure you haven't recently cleaned the cover and applied something like Aerospace 303. For a period of time after application you can see this same manifestation. It's not a bad thing in this case as it goes away and the benefit of remoisturizing/protecting the cover is worth it in the long run.

Regarding the smell, I do get some smell when I first open the cover if it's been closed for some period of time (days) which I attribute to the accumulated combined chlorine (CC's) under the cover which are the end result of the normal process of chlorine oxidizing algae and other things in the water. They can't escape with the cover closed and do so in mass when the cover is initially opened. Letting the pool breath a good idea every few days or at least once a week, if you aren't opening it otherwise.

Check the pump to see if it is leaking oil.

Contact the pump manufacturer to see what they say.

What is the pump make and model?
Oh I read your initial post wrong at first. I thought you meant something from the cover mechanism was leaking. You think it could be the pump? If that is the case, wouldn't I see a big spot on the cover where the oil was though?

I'm not home but I think it's this one
1690833716848.png

I have the coverstar people coming out a week from today to check the cover

Good thought on the cover pump idea.

And as another thought, I wanted to make sure you haven't recently cleaned the cover and applied something like Aerospace 303. For a period of time after application you can see this same manifestation. It's not a bad thing in this case as it goes away and the benefit of remoisturizing/protecting the cover is worth it in the long run.

Regarding the smell, I do get some smell when I first open the cover if it's been closed for some period of time (days) which I attribute to the accumulated combined chlorine (CC's) under the cover which are the end result of the normal process of chlorine oxidizing algae and other things in the water. They can't escape with the cover closed and do so in mass when the cover is initially opened. Letting the pool breath a good idea every few days or at least once a week, if you aren't opening it otherwise.
I had to have new brackets placed in the cover box in early June. Do you think the coverstar people would've cleaned it themselves while they were there working on the brackets maybe?

Quite possibly as they would/could have been drilling in the box and getting debris on the cover. Then could have wiped it down with something to clean up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I have no idea how to check if it is leaking oil. There is no residue that I could see. I did put the cover on last night without the pump as there was no rain the forecast....woke up this morning and the oil spill had returned. So I'm guessing it's more likely something with the cover than the pump. But who knows?

I'll check it when i get home. I looked at that thread and he never said that he figured it out what it was though. How would you clean the bottom of the cover anyway?

The bottom is difficult to clean.

It is probably easiest to just wait for it to come off in the water and eventually get oxidized and filtered out.

Make sure to keep the filter cartridges clean.

Clean the top to prevent more oil from getting on the bottom.

Hi....I saw someone else post about this a few years ago but that thread is closed and I didn't see a resolution. I am baffled by this. Pool is only a year old. This year I have noticed this oily residue in the morning after I open the cover. We have our nephews over a lot so my wife and I just assumed it was suntan lotion and oils and stuff. And it goes away after a bit and you can also get rid of it with putting an old shirt around the skimmer net and soaking it up. There is also a strange smell when the cover is on. It's like a chemical. Can't quite explain it. Don't smell it when the cover is open though.

Last night we left the cover open and the pool looks as clear as can be. In the first two pictures you can see the oily residue and the bottom one was from this morning. Chemicals are balanced. As of yesterday the LSI was -.05. The cover is only a year old so still under warranty. Going to call them but figured I'd check here for any advice first. TIA!
First two pics you can see the residue. Pics were taken just after taking the cover off:
View attachment 518631

View attachment 518632

This was from this morning, a night after the cover was off:

View attachment 518633
Have the same issue. It's not the pump that's causing the issue. I have pulled everything apart and cleaned the cover compartment to make sure it wasn't debris causing the issue. Just started happening this year (2nd year in use). Seems to be more of an issue towards the end of this year's season. Also, have a strong canvas type smell. I have the autocover 365, UV light, and offline chlorinator.
Have you by chance found out what is causing the issue?

Have the same issue. It's not the pump that's causing the issue. I have pulled everything apart and cleaned the cover compartment to make sure it wasn't debris causing the issue. Just started happening this year (2nd year in use). Seems to be more of an issue towards the end of this year's season. Also, have a strong canvas type smell. I have the autocover 365, UV light, and offline chlorinator.
Have you by chance found out what is causing the issue?
It is a very odd situation. I have not exactly figured it out. I had the coverstar people out and it is not the cover. I explained that it could possibly be the pump. They said they would replace it, however they have not done so yet. BUT--- I have not really had this issue for over a month now. So who the heck knows? lol

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support