Oil spill in pool (not suntan lotion related)

Aug 5, 2018
WA
We have been using a submersible pump to run water through a homemade pool heater (black tubing coiled on plywood, real fancy!) and have noticed a slight oily sheen on the water since the beginning. We thought that possibly the pump had been in contact with oil during storage. Yesterday we had a big jump in outdoor temp and suddenly today the pool surface has an extremely noticeable sheen to the point where you can feel it on your hands when you touch the water. It turns out this pump has some sort of oil on the inside (I can't remember what kind at the moment, but can post it later if needed) and it was likely leaking. I highly doubt it is a buildup of lotions, etc since we don't wear sunscreen often and don't have many swimmers (and there were no swimmers in the last 3 days). The pump has been removed and it's time for cleanup.

I ordered a few scumbugs and will put some tennis balls in as well, however I believe the amount of oil here far exceeds the typical "sunscreen" oil.

Should I also look into an enzyme product such as Pool First Aid? Amazon.com : Natural Chemistry 03122 Pool First Aid Clears Cloudy Swimming Pool Water, 2-Liters : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Gateway

Any other suggestions? I'm hesitant to add any product to the water since I am still a chemistry noob and just barely have the basics under control!

It's only 4000 gallons so we can drain if needed, however it takes about 15 trips to the water fill station to do so (15 miles each way). The other option might be to dump a few loads of water in until it overfills and drains off the top layer.

Do you have a skimmer? If so turn off pump for awhile so the oil sets on top and turn on skimmer only and pump it to waste. That will get most of the oil out.

No skimmer, use a bigger shop vac with the tip on top of the water still sucking air and a little water. Should work to skim the pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.