Oil / Scum in Pool

kbetkin

Apr 21, 2024
Sunnyvale, CA
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and hoping to get some advice. We have a new pool and the chemical balance seems ok. We have yet to swim in it, but I'm noticing kind of an oily film on the surface. I would imagine this is something that might happen after people go in the pool with sunscreen -- however, no one has gone in it yet. When I used the skimmer kind of a slimmy film got caught in the net. Curious if anyone knows what this could be and the best way to get rid of it.

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP.

Air pollution? Pollen?

You testing your chemicals with your own test kit? What test kit do you use?

What is the daily run time of your pump and filter?

When did you last clean your filter?

Post your chemical test results in the format:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Not knowing anything else yet......... my liner was oily when it was new and so were my cartridges so I had some scuzz. Then we started swimming and sunblock made more scuzz.

Each year I buy new tennis balls and 2 stay in each skimmer all season. Maybe a kid finds and plays with one for a bit and as soon as they tire of it, it finds its home in the skimmer on its own. The fuzz on the tennis balls is great for sucking up minor oil slicks, which also get pushed up in the skimmers eventually.

Thanks so much for your perspective (and sorry for my delayed response!)

We are testing weekly with Leslies. This was latest result from today.

FC 1.83
CC 2.33
pH 7.5
TA 122
CH 224
CYA 27

We run the filter 3 hours / day. We have not cleaned the filter yet because the pool is only ~6 months old. We have primarily have been keeping the cover on - having only swam in it once, last weekend. (The pool was finished right as the weather started to change.) Even with the cover on, it *could* be pollen. I opened it today and it wasn't too bad - I brushed it for about an hour and covered it again ... then I opened like an hour later as I went to get a sample of the water to test and it was way worse. I am wondering if the pollen and the various dandelion seeds flew into the water when I was brushing (or got through the cover). I have a tennis ball in the two filters - but it doesnt seem to be helping. Should I put a few more/ buy new tennis balls? Any of the oil / scum sponges that they sell any good? The woman at Leslie's recommended Clear Aid... I did not buy, as I'm curious if anyone has perspective.

It was very hard to capture this in pictures - but I got a few, attached. (In the first -- you can faintly see the oily spots, in the second some of the slimy scum and a few bubbles that appeared when I opened the cover the second time.

Thank you very much for your advice!!

Attachments

• IMG_7843.jpg
    IMG_7843.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 9
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 9
There are several reports of pools with autocovers having this issue.

It might be oil from the cover pump leaking and getting on the top of the cover.

When the cover rolls up, the top contacts the bottom transferring the oil to the bottom of the cover.

When the cover is rolled out, the oil transfers to the pool water from the bottom of the cover.

The other hypothesis is that maybe something from the fabric is leaching out into the water.

Reactions: Newdude
Thank you so much! Those are such helpful posts to read! We have not had to use the pump in a few weeks (as it hasn't rained) but the photos in the other posts look exactly like what we are dealing with -- making me think it is something with the cover. I am going to try a few of the suggestions in the other posts. Thank you!

Reactions: Newdude
You should run the pump 15 mins a day to mix the chemicals no matter what. If you have the ability to do it twice (on a timer or such) that's even better.