Oh No! Pool drain!

RamenLover

Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2020
Chino Hills
Hi all! Just bought a home with a pool. Haven’t moved in yet. About 20 days ago I took some water to the local Leslie’s to get tested. They stated the water was as perfect as it could be.

Because of ongoing remodeling, haven’t moved in. Hired a pool guy to maintain the pool and setup our pump to filter 8 hours a day split into 4 hour increments morning and evening.

Leslies told me to use approx 2-3 large tablets of chlorine in a floater to keep the pool chlorinated. I happily complied. Pool guy shows up few days later to clean pool. Water was incredibly clear after and happiness ensued.

I notice the three floaters I had are stacked with chlorine. I’d guess 10-12 3” tablets along with the chlorine dispenser at the pump has 7-8 3” tablets? I call and the pool man says it’s really important to load up on chlorine because of the weather (100 degree days).

Week later trimmed trees and some debris falls into pool. I clean out as much as I can but there obviously some dirt in the water when I run the net at the bottom. I change filter run time to 12 hours a day.

Week later, water has turned emerald green. Floaters looks to be refilled with chlorine. I call pool company for help, technician says he poured gallon of chlorine to fight the green.

I set filter to run 24 hours a day.

Something doesn’t seem right. Seems like an awful lot of tablets. I take the water to Leslie’s and they say my CYA is 200ppm.

My research is telling me I need to empty my pool and start over? Oh no! Help? :)

Last edited:
the TF100 would be your best bet
it seems expensive at first but you soon realize how much money you save not adding un-necessary chemicals

Reactions: RamenLover
Hey RamenLover! Welcome to TFP. Glad you found us, but sorry it's under these circumstances.

You'll likely need to exchange some water in your pool. And it's likely you're going to have to perform a SLAM. We'll walk you through everything. But first you need that kit. Order it right away, test the water and post your results here, in this thread. We can't advise you much without those results. And they can't be results from the pool store or pool guy. They've already steered you wrong.

- Order the kit aussieta recommended.

While you're waiting for the kit, here's what you can do.

- Stock up on liquid chlorine, gallon jugs. See if you can get the 10% stuff from the pool store. Don't buy anything else from them. No need to have them test your water. Ignore anything else they say to you. Or buy bleach, but without any additives. Just plain old bleach. Don't put anything else into your pool for now.

- Fire the pool guy and take over the care of your pool.

- Pull out all of the chlorine tabs, don't put any more in.

- Pour a gallon of bleach or liquid chlorine into your pool everyday until you get the test kit. Keep the pump running.

Report back when you get your first set of results from your kit, and we'll go from there.

You got "pool stored" and it is quite common. No worries. You're in good hands now and we'll get your pool back on track straight away.

I'll just add that the advice you will get from this forum and the advice you will get from Leslie's are frequently going to be at odds. It would behoove you to select either us or Leslie's. We have no skin in the game and are not trying to sell you anything.

Listen to these guys - Ditch the tablets and the pool guy!! We bought our house in the Spring and never had a pool before. The prior owners used tablets for god knows how long and test strips, which they left behind. We're starting from scratch (with high CYA) next Spring.

Listen to the advice here as we have at some point all been in your shoes only to find out that pool management is fairly simple and straightforward. The pool store game is to hook you and have you flash the CC every time you walk in. Most pool stores know very little contrary to what we would think. Take the same water sample to three stores and you get three different results. Trust only your own testing. Get the kit and you'll be well on your way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try to find a local pool store near you that carries HASA chlorine in refillable one-gallon containers. It's usually the best deal for real fresh 12.5% liquid chlorine. I get it for about $4 per gallon in Alta Loma. Leslie's carries it, but they inflate the price. A quick google search shows "Malin's Pool and Patio" in Chino carries HASA products. The next best bargain is Home Depot or Lowes that carry 10% liquid in two packs. Make sure you check the Julian date codes on the boxes and get the freshest chlorine you can since they store it outdoors. Julian codes have 5 numbers (20-123). The first two are the year and the last three are the numeric day of the year.

Dump the pool guy and get rid of the tablet chlorinator. You won't need them. Use the money you save to invest in a salt water chlorine generator for a truly trouble free pool.

I ordered from Tftestkits.net in August and I received my order within 3-4 days.

Best of luck!

Thank you folks! I've ordered the XL Bundle, hoping that has most of what I need. I'm headed to find liquid chlorine.

I don't move in for another 2 weeks so constant attention to the pool is difficult. As Dirk said, I'll be pouring chlorine in until that kit arrives. I hope the pool survives the next 2 weeks.

The test kit will confirm if you have algae or not. And how much water you'll need to exchange, if any. In the meantime, the daily chlorine will help keep your current outbreak of algae at bay (and won't harm anything if it turns out to be something else wrong). When you get your kit we'll be able to do a proper SLAM (the process, a set of instructions, that will clear your pool of all algae). You'll need to be very available at the pool to do a proper SLAM (testing and adding chlorine very often, probably multiple times a day), so if that can't happen for a few weeks until you're in, that's not the worst thing. We've got someone in another thread whose pool was completely trashed from years of abandonment, and hers is almost completely restored. I'm just having you add the daily dose now so yours doesn't get too far gone...

The test kit will confirm if you have algae or not. And how much water you'll need to exchange, if any. In the meantime, the daily chlorine will help keep your current outbreak of algae at bay (and won't harm anything if it turns out to be something else wrong). When you get your kit we'll be able to do a proper SLAM (the process, a set of instructions, that will clear your pool of all algae). You'll need to be very available at the pool to do a proper SLAM (testing and adding chlorine very often, probably multiple times a day), so if that can't happen for a few weeks until you're in, that's not the worst thing. We've got someone in another thread whose pool was completely trashed from years of abandonment, and hers is almost completely restored. I'm just having you add the daily dose now so yours doesn't get too far gone...
You’re a lifesaver. Just took out the pucks, dumped a gallon of 10% chlorine and filter us running.
I wonder if the previous owner cleaned the DE filter. Well I got some lube and DE so a filter clean is in my near future.

Reactions: Dirk
Can you post pics of your pool and especially the equipment pad from various angles?
Absolutely!

IMG_0125.jpg
The following is a 1.5 HP pump for the water feature.
IMG_0126.jpgIMG_0127.jpgIMG_0128.jpgIMG_0129.jpgIMG_0130.jpg
The following photo shows, well at least I think it's what they are. The top automated switch valve is for the pool and spa outlet. No clue how to set it. I know that if I set it anything but pool mode, when the pump shuts off, the spa begins to drain. No clue what the bottom automated switch valve does.
IMG_0133.jpgIMG_0621.jpgIMG_0620.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This pressure gauge can turn to release pressure. Prior to the green water issues, it didn't leak. Now it leaks regularly, sometimes almost like a slow running water hose. Other times if I shut the pump off and on, green goops comes out and then turns to regular water again.
IMG_0622.jpg
Main 1.5HP pool pump.
IMG_0624.jpgIMG_0623.jpg
I'm not entirely sure what the pool is made of... it's a pebbly like surface. Looks like it's in decent condition but I don't know much. This photo was taken before the pool turned green i believe.
62092952556__754E5AF9-56FC-450B-B995-153E6AD3FAD2.JPG
This phto also taken before the water turned green.IMG_0328.jpg
In it's green glory!
IMG_0512.jpg

Last edited:
RamenLover, you've got some nice gear, and a great looking pool! It's like an oasis. There are folks here that can help you sort out the equipment and valves. Let us know when you get your test kit and are moved in.

Oh, you do want to run the spa after you dose the chlorine in the pool, or just add some in there and swirl it around with the brush. We don't want the spa to go crazy green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.