Oh No! Pool drain!

Light-it can be changed out wet.

Pump-you can rent a pump from Home Depot or such but I do like the idea of each pool owner having a pump for just in case they need it right then. Harbor Freight has pumps for a good price.

Since you are going to fill/drain at the same time it will take a while. It will be worth it though to keep the pool safe!

For right now I think the main thing is getting that CYA down by the drain/refill.

Good luck!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: RamenLover
Use the FAS-DPD test to determine FC level. Where are you planning to drain the water to?

Did you test with the FAS DPD?

Reality is your tiny amount of chlorinated water will have no effect. But regulations are regulations.

Change of plans... apparently I'm supposed to drain into the city sewer system. There is a drain cleanup at the outside of my house next to the kitchen. Do I just open it up and run the hose from the sump pump into it? I purchased a 1/4 HP pump. I hope it doesn't somehow backup into the house! EEKS!

I'm not a plumber, but that cleanout is designed to access interior pipes for service. I'm on septic now, but each of the previous So Cal homes I've owned had sewer cleanouts in front of the house near the foundation. Look for a 4" capped pipe in the ground with a square knob or indent. It should be between the house and the street. It may be hidden under bushes and may even covered with dirt/mulch/debris.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm I must be doing something wrong.

36618A0D-7185-4DB0-84CE-EFA7E74B2DF8.jpeg
My chlorine test is orange.
I then did the chlorine drop test and it took 33 drops to get it to clear.
4C5CAE21-13F1-4D2C-AB2B-9B776324C924.jpeg
Adding R-0003 stayed clear.
I then did a CYA test and looks like I’m at 90?
C000827D-D67B-4C57-9CCC-1DE12F909C48.jpegDont hate me. I went into Leslie’s to look for a light bulb and brought a sample of water just for kicks.
They state I have 5 ppm free chlorine, 5 ppm total chlorine, 7.4 alkalinity, 90 CYA.
Am I doing the chlorine tests incorrectly or is Leslie’s just that bad at tests?

Had someone else test my chlorine a couple days ago and they said i don’t have any. Good grief.

Last edited:
The OTO is pretty much foolproof, you have significant chlorine in the pool water. The store FC test is wrong.

Just drain it. No one in your city works on Sunday to see if someone draining a pool has high chlorine in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.