Oh My Gosh, There Has to be a Better Way.......

Maintain your FC at 12 ppm. This evening do a final test of your FC after the sun goes down. Take a sample in the AM before the sun hits the pool surface and test FC. You are looking for a loss of less than 1 ppm FC overnight.

Marty, I checked every 2.5 hours my FC and kept my levels at 12 according to the pool math. The first couple times I checked my FC did drop quite a bit, (i.e. a drop from 12 to 4, another drop from 12 to 8). But before going to bed last night my FC was at 10, so i added what Pool math said to reach 12, and checked again this morning. This morning my FC was at 10, so I added bleach accordingly. ***oh yeah and squeezing my sock every time i go outside lol***.

Pool looks so much better. No longer any green.....the whole pool is blue. Although it's cloudy blue, its still blue, and we are so happy.

I can't check anything until I get back from work today, but I have the wife "bumping" the DE filter as the pressure rises, BUT it's not clogging up every 16 minutes any more.....it can actually run for an hour or two, and should be even better today.

I will report back later this evening with some updated test results, so maybe you can help us with our next move.

Yay MdMcoupe!!! Thanks for your support too! Stay on it all. Test frequently and be sure to always keep that FC at the level needed for your pool!

I love using the new TF-100 test kit, and being part of the forums.

Thanks

If she can, have her add some chlorine today. Preferably twice. Add enough for 4 ppm FC each time.

When you do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, be sure to test at least 30 minutes after your last addition of chlorine. That is then your evening base test.

If she can, have her add some chlorine today. Preferably twice. Add enough for 4 ppm FC each time.

When you do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, be sure to test at least 30 minutes after your last addition of chlorine. That is then your evening base test.

Ok Marty.

I am sorry, but I am a little unclear about the "add enough for 4 ppm FC each time" part. When I left for work this morning, I took a reading and added enough bleach to keep the pool at 12 ppm.

Am I supposed to be letting the FC come down now? (is my target 4ppm of FC now?)

.....ok I think I understand, I read the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.......as you know it says not to let the FC drop below 3 (so i think that is why you want me to have a level of 4 ppm, so I can do the overnight test.)....

Thanks

Sorry - I just thought your wife might be able to add some chlorine during the day. If she could test and add the appropriate amount to keep at 12 ppm FC, that is great. Otherwise I was just giving you an amount to use (you would have to calculate how much that is of the bleach your are using) for her to add.

Sorry - I just thought your wife might be able to add some chlorine during the day. If she could test and add the appropriate amount to keep at 12 ppm FC, that is great. Otherwise I was just giving you an amount to use (you would have to calculate how much that is of the bleach your are using) for her to add.

Marty,

****UPDATE @ 7:45******

FC --- 6.5
CC --- 0
TA --- 100
CH ---
pH --- 7.2 (still reads 7.2 but i thought i read during SLAM this could be unreliable, but i tested anyway)
CYA. --- 25? (the black dot started to disappear around 30, but if i turned the tube slightly i could see the black dot...seems to me some where between 20 -30.....and I still have powder stabilizer in my socks...still squeezing it out)

Last night:
11:00pm ---- tested free chlorine & added what i needed to get to 12 ppm

Today:
6:00 am ---- tested FC it was 10 ppm, added some bleach to get to 12 ppm
5:00 pm ---- tested FC it was 7, added nothing and went to dinner
7:30 pm ---- tested EVERYTHING as shown above ---- FC was 6.5, I lost .5 in 2 1/2 hours (NOTE: we did get a storm during dinner)

It still seems I am losing FC way too fast, and I think I would fail the overnight test.

Pool looks great, water is starting to lose it cloudiness and I can see the pattern in the bottom of the pool.

So what is my next move? What FC level should be my target now, should I stay at 12 ppm because I am still loosing FC every few hours..... I am ready to keep going.....

Please advise, Thanks

It is. Did you test CC by chance this morning?

Is the pool water crystal clear?

If so, you are done. Raise your CYA to 40 ppm and maintain the FC to be above minimum at all times based on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Great job.

It is. Did you test CC by chance this morning?

Is the pool water crystal clear?

If so, you are done. Raise your CYA to 40 ppm and maintain the FC to be above minimum at all times based on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Great job.

Marty, we couldn't have done this without you and the members here on TFP. It was very scary and seemed overwhelming at first, but with you guiding us it was easy. I tried to update this thread as much as possible to help anyone else in the future who finds this thread in a search. This thread took a swampy, stinky, green pool to a beautiful crystal blue. This happened because I had, support from the forum (thanks Marty), a proper test kit (yay TF-100), and the Pool Math calculator.

I did not test for CC this morning, but will as soon as i get home. My wife doesn't feel confident with the new TF-100 yet.

Yes sir, the water is crystal clear...WOW can't believe how much the pool turned around in ~36 hours.

The socks filled with CYA are finished dissolving as of this morning. I will check my CYA also and make corrections to bring it to 40 ppm. Then I will target a FC of 5-7 ppm from then on.

In the past (because I didn't know any better) I put 1" chlorine tablets into my "floaty thinge"? I usually just put as many 1" tabs as the thing can hold, and unscrew it as far as possible to release as much chlorine as possible while floating. What is the proper method?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the past (because I didn't know any better) I put 1" chlorine tablets into my "floaty thinge"? I usually just put as many 1" tabs as the thing can hold, and unscrew it as far as possible to release as much chlorine as possible while floating. What is the proper method?
Thanks

You really can't use solid chlorine products to for daily maintenance of chlorine, CYA will get out of control really fast, which is why everyone here switches to an automated liquid chlorine dispense system or SWCG. If not interested those options right now, you can just measure each day and add liquid chlorine as you've been doing during the SLAM to stay in the your FC range. Soon you'll know approximately how much is needed each day and you just add that each day and only measure FC 2-3 times per week.

I test and ADDED LC every night in the beginning.. This is how I've maintained my pool since 2014. No algea ever, in fact after deep cleaning my filter at opening the last three years I have not had to backwash at all.

I get 2 1/2 gallon containers from a pool store of 12.5% LC. I got lids and pour spouts with shut off from a thread here. --> URL="https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/carboys.php#lids"]https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/carboys.php#lids[/URL]

Makes it very easy to manage and I take them back and get new ones.

You really can't use solid chlorine products to for daily maintenance of chlorine, CYA will get out of control really fast, which is why everyone here switches to an automated liquid chlorine dispense system or SWCG. If not interested those options right now, you can just measure each day and add liquid chlorine as you've been doing during the SLAM to stay in the your FC range. Soon you'll know approximately how much is needed each day and you just add that each day and only measure FC 2-3 times per week.

So I can stop paying a fortune for those 5 gallon buckets of chlorine tablets, and just check my FC each night and add bleach to stay at 5-7ppm FC?
I do have a Mr Frog Chlorinator that the previous home owner had stored in the basement. I have never used it before, and not sure if it even works. Would you suggest I figure out how to get that up and running.

I test and ADDED LC every night in the beginning.. This is how I've maintained my pool since 2014. No algea ever, in fact after deep cleaning my filter at opening the last three years I have not had to backwash at all.

I get 2 1/2 gallon containers from a pool store of 12.5% LC. I got lids and pour spouts with shut off from a thread here. --> URL="https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/carboys.php#lids"]https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/carboys.php#lids[/URL]

Makes it very easy to manage and I take them back and get new ones.

I like that idea, nice "jugs" lol....thanks

Do not use the Frog device. They add minerals, typically copper, silver, and or zinc. Sell it on eBay.

Use Liquid chlorine. If you leave for a vacation, use the tablets/pucks. Just understand how much CYA they added to your pool and adjust your FC accordingly.

So I can stop paying a fortune for those 5 gallon buckets of chlorine tablets, and just check my FC each night and add bleach to stay at 5-7ppm FC?

Yes, you can stop paying for and using the chlorine tablets. They are OK for a short term use when you might be away and don't have anyone to add bleach/LC for you. But, don't overuse. They contain CYA and you need to keep that is a controllable range. Once CYA gets too high, you will be forced to drain the pool.

Yep, just check the FC and dose daily.

Congrats on getting your pool clear. And I have to add...

:nopic:

Do not use the Frog device. They add minerals, typically copper, silver, and or zinc. Sell it on eBay.

Use Liquid chlorine. If you leave for a vacation, use the tablets/pucks. Just understand how much CYA they added to your pool and adjust your FC accordingly.

*****Update 8-1-2018*****

Pool still crystal blue and beautiful.

FC --- 6 (my targets will be 5-7 ppm when I get my CYA to 40, ok?)
CC --- 0 (still at 0, is this a problem? Not sure how i can add more if I need to?)
TA --- 110
CH ---
pH --- 7.2
CYA. --- ~25 (I am still learning how to accurately measure this one, maybe I strain too much to see the little "black dot" and I keep adding solution) I added 27oz of CYA via Pool Math to bring my CYA to 40 yesterday.

Marty, I will not use the Frog device. My plan going forward is to monitor FC/PH/CYA/TA on a daily basis until I get a better understanding of how these chemicals change in my pool. I do not plan to use any chlorine tablets or a liquid chlorinator (at least not this season) i will add bleach according to my CYA reading. Hopefully I can get to a point where I can check/adjust every 2 to 3 days.

The TF-100 kit comes with a Taylor PH & Chlorine test kit. What type of chlorine measurement does this give me? Is it Total Chlorine, sorry if I missed it in the TF-100 instructions. I have just been using the FC measurement.

This forum is going to save me a ton in pool supplies. I will have to stock up on some Stabilizer, but I plan to use bleach/baking soda & or MA to make my adjustments.

I will update with some pictures in a little bit, I need to get some work done first......

OMG, thanks so much Marty and TFP members!

Just a quick note: CC <0.5 is what you are looking for! :)

Also, CYA test is best not to 'look' but only 'glance' Keep it in your mind that you don't want to see the dot. Sometimes, if you are thinking 'see the dot', you will, so I try to think 'not see the dot' Remember you can pour the mixture back in to the bottle and do the drop into the tube, as many times as needed to get a repeatable reading.

Just a quick note: CC <0.5 is what you are looking for! :)

Thanks Pabeader. When I test my FC i get my reading and move onto CC. I add some drops from another container and if it turns pink I have some CC. When I add the new drops my solution is a very very faint pink, and I can only add 1 drop of the 0871 (i think that's what it is) and my solution turns clear again......so to me that would be ~.5 for the CC.

NOTE: I always follow the laminated instructions, so if I explained something above incorrectly it's because I don't have the process memorized or any of the agents that I add, sorry.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.