Midwest
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My Wife just called and said the water in the pool was kind of cloudy. I have had it absolutely dialed in and it was CRYSTAL CLEAR when I left for work this morning. I was puzzled at first, then I remembered she had texted me saying the Lawn Care guy was there spraying and fertilizing. I'm assuming some of the granular fertilizer that are like bouncy balls when they hit the concrete made their way into the pool. I have no idea what to do.......should I backwash? Drain to waste? Is there something I can add? Please help, she is going to be furious if I can't get this in order because we are supposed to have guests over tomorrow!!

Thanks in advance!

-Walt

I would first look to see if any solids are on the floor that can be vacuumed to waste. That could help prevent staining. As for any liquid or dissolved product, it will take time. You might increase the FC by a few ppm for the rest of the day and monitor.

Reactions: Walt Salt
The ammonia in the fertilizer will consume the chlorine rapidly. Have her add two gallons of 10% liquid chlorine now.

Also, you may have rust spots where the granules landed in the pool.

The ammonia in the fertilizer will consume the chlorine rapidly. Have her add two gallons of 10% liquid chlorine now.

Also, you may have rust spots where the granules landed in the pool.
I think we only have the shock packets, no liquid on hand? I did tell her to brush the pool so they wouldn't sit there!

Thats Dichlor. So adds CYA. Up to you.
Here are the other things we have.........not sure which would be the best to use. My CYA is in check, was low when we started this year, but has been fine ever since I brought it up. Checking with neighbor on Chlorine before I add shock.

Attachments

• 42432.jpeg
    42432.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 42433.jpeg
    42433.jpeg
    376.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 42435.jpeg
    42435.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 42437.jpeg
    42437.jpeg
    342.6 KB · Views: 14
Liquid pool chlorine or regular bleach (not scented or splashless). Main ingredient Sodium Hypochlorite. That's what you need as soon as possible to elevated the FC level.

full

Liquid pool chlorine or regular bleach (not scented or splashless). Main ingredient Sodium Hypochlorite. That's what you need as soon as possible to elevated the FC level.

full
Neighbor has some! She's adding 2 gallons now. Thanks so much guys! I had her brush the bottom and toss the Dolphin in just in case there were some on the bottom still. I also made a call to the lawncare folks :mad:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

full
Hey Texas Splash,

I added the liquid chlorine. The pool is clear, but the chlorine is now pegged super high. Should I not run my pump(SWCG) for awhile to bring it back down? Sorry for all the questions, I'm super new to this game.

Walt

The pool is clear, but the chlorine is now pegged super high. Should I not run my pump(SWCG) for awhile to bring it back down?
Depends on what super high means to you. :) Poolmath last shows your CYA as 70 which means you could have an FC as high as 28 and still go in the water. So if you're under 28 all is well. You can turn the SWG off for a bit if you still want the FC to fall, or just let it fall on its own.

FC/CYA Levels

Depends on what super high means to you. :) Poolmath last shows your CYA as 70 which means you could have an FC as high as 28 and still go in the water. So if you're under 28 all is well. You can turn the SWG off for a bit if you still want the FC to fall, or just let it fall on its own.

FC/CYA Levels
Okay, great thank you! I'll turn it off for awhile

Reactions: Texas Splash
The two gallons you added put 15 ppm FC in the pool. The FC should not be high.
Ok. All I'm going by is that it was at 5 for the last couple of months, and now it's at 10 or above(my kit is limited) and super pink/red. As mentioned above, I probably should upgrade my kit. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too high where it would cause an issue or eye/skin irritation.

Reactions: mknauss
Ok. All I'm going by is that it was at 5 for the last couple of months, and now it's at 10 or above(my kit is limited) and super pink/red. As mentioned above, I probably should upgrade my kit. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too high where it would cause an issue or eye/skin irritation.
For reference, if you follow TFP methods 5ppm is probably the absolute lowest you ever want the FC if your CYA level is at 70mm. You should be maintaining FC daily around 7-9ppm. Ideally you want to stay below 10ppm so you can measure pH accurately.

Your Taylor k2005 kit can’t measure above 5-10ppm. You’de be wise to get the K2006-C or the TF100 instead so you can measure chlorine more accurately.

No need to get a whole new kit. All OP needs is the Taylor K1515A FAS-DPD test, which will effectively turn it into a K-2006.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.