Selenap

May 28, 2021
Waynesville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So we got a leak. Back of the downstairs tub. The bathroom is tiled so the least damaging way to get to it was through the outside wall. This leak has been going on a few years looks like. In February I notice the concrete in the crawl space was wet. We thought it was rain run off from not having gutters on that side of the house cause we redid the roof and stuff. We had to wait a month for gutters.
so anyway I was in the basement doing laundry the other night and decided to peak into the crawl space that is the other side of the house. Water every where. Today my husband cut into the wall. Capped the offending pipe and now we have to wait for help. We need remove more wall behind the bathroom window. Replace subfloor and probably tear out the bathroom anyway. What a mess. We have to industrial fans and two box fans situated around to dry it out. I have a serious mold allergy and severe headache going at the moment. Water will be the death of me. One way or another. 😂

Attachments

• A3663E52-B367-44BF-B413-D241A84B9E43.jpeg
    A3663E52-B367-44BF-B413-D241A84B9E43.jpeg
    737.1 KB · Views: 35
  • E598D7FB-303D-404E-ACB9-0005440F63EA.jpeg
    E598D7FB-303D-404E-ACB9-0005440F63EA.jpeg
    827.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Sad
Reactions: newdude
Water is called the "universal solvent" because it is capable of dissolving more substances than any other liquid. Sorry to learn about your issue. You are doing the right thing opening it up. Look on the bright side you may get a bathroom remodel out of this mess. Can you file an insurance claim?

Reactions: Selenap
Thanks. We have a mess. It extends to the guest bedroom subfloor. Allstate doesn’t cover long term leaks you don’t know about hidden in walls. Well. Not many insurance company’s will I found out unless you get a rider. Insurance is more or less for catastrophic events apparently. We do have many friends who can help us fix this on the cheap. We have to get it dried out. Mediate mold and go from there. Both of us working, we haven’t been able to assess how bad the subfloor is. Thankfully. Those two rooms haven’t been remodeled yet. Sadly, OSB or whatever the new plywood will be is going to cost more than we paid for the house. I don’t think the price of lumber is ever going back down.

Thanks. We have a mess. It extends to the guest bedroom subfloor. Allstate doesn’t cover long term leaks you don’t know about hidden in walls. Well. Not many insurance company’s will I found out unless you get a rider. Insurance is more or less for catastrophic events apparently. We do have many friends who can help us fix this on the cheap. We have to get it dried out. Mediate mold and go from there. Both of us working, we haven’t been able to assess how bad the subfloor is. Thankfully. Those two rooms haven’t been remodeled yet. Sadly, OSB or whatever the new plywood will be is going to cost more than we paid for the house. I don’t think the price of lumber is ever going back down.
If you are still seeing higher prices on OSB, Plywood and lumber keep looking around. There are still retailers sitting with expensive inventory but prices have dropped considerably in the market. I can't speak for the US market but up here we have dropped our retails on the majority of products by over half in the last 4 weeks based on new lower priced lumber and plywood coming in. So hopefully its not as expensive as you think.

Reactions: Selenap
Well to be honest, I’m going off the cost back in February when we replaced the garage roof. The good news is that as long as we get the sub floor right again, and the outside put back together, any cosmetic stuff can be done gradually. No one comes to visit and we have 2 more bathrooms to choose from. Other than a jacuzzi in the master, I have no tub at the moment and that makes me sad. Jacuzzi is too much hassle to bathe in with all my lotions and potions oils and emollients. Lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.