Official 2023 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

I’m heating up the egg for smoked wings. I think I finally got the balance of smoke and glass shattering skin I want.

I spent 5 years in buffalo for school and I got used to thier wings. Nothing better than duff’s or the brass rail. The “original” place sucked.

You can have the conversation about what is crispy but without a higher smoke temp there is no way to get that fat to render properly and crisp up that skin. 250 just doesn’t do it for me at least.

Last night I think I finally got the right temp and the en into the oil fryer. Even if u smoke at a low temp once thst skin is rubber no amount of frying will change that.

So I’m on the egg today. Heating it up using the thermoworks signal with billows help. Can’t say enough about this setup. I get up to heat then I add my wood for the smoke. I found I get better smoke that way vs adding wood from start up.

I’ll have pics later. With the help from a member from Texas here I think we finally got it dialed into what I think crispy skin means to me. And that is glass shattering.

I’m miss buffalo with our weekly Tuesday wing night a duff’s and then Thursday for country karaoke with our group of 20 singing, drinking, and eating wings at the brass rail. I still pull out the cd they recorded of all of us the last night we spent there before graduating. Funny 3 hours of material on there. The background conversations are even better.

Ok enough down memory lane many many moons ago.

Eat up friends. Enjoy every minute. Life is short. Family and friends. It’s all that matters.

Jimi489A093D-AD97-432C-A7E8-045525BEC501.jpeg

I’m dialed in I think. 2 mins in frier and they were good to go. I got my second batch in now.

I bought a vinegar based bbq sauce at the beach this week. It has molasses in it vs the typical binocular based ones I have seen. It’s really good. Still very thin and just a bit a sweetness. I like it a lot.

Last edited:
Jerk chicken with rice and peas.

VZ0hp3S.jpg

TZbU039.jpg

SnhvdUG.jpg

Reactions: jark87 and newdude
I’m glad you got your wing recipe down. @jimim ! They look great.

I love reminiscing through food as well. The Christmas holiday is where that works for me. Making my dads recipes I can no longer get since he’s been gone. This weekend was great I hope everyone enjoyed it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While this mild weather stinks for swimming, I’m LOVING it! I enjoy just sitting on the back porch and this weather is perfect! Cooked twice today and just sat around all day eating.

View attachment 502409

View attachment 502410

Anytime I got bored……grabbed a snack! 😂
That’s my kinda day’. We have fish I caught yesterday for dinner tonight. Just need a little more today for the extra people coming. Lol hopefully I don’t get skunked out there. Heading out now. Late start today. I slept in. Lol

Getting the main ingredients ready for a Buffalo chicken dip that we’re serving tomorrow at our son and DIL’s baby shower. Smoked a block of cream cheese and a chicken, which will be diced. Those will go into a cast iron pan with Monterey Jack cheese, blue cheese, Frank’s Hot Sauce, mayo, and homemade ranch dressing which will all be smoked until heated through. It’s my first attempt at this recipe and I’m looking forward to serving it up!

1686865397110.jpeg
1686865421979.jpeg

Reactions: Decoy205 and Stump
Getting the main ingredients ready for a Buffalo chicken dip that we’re serving tomorrow at our son and DIL’s baby shower. Smoked a block of cream cheese and a chicken, which will be diced. Those will go into a cast iron pan with Monterey Jack cheese, blue cheese, Frank’s Hot Sauce, mayo, and homemade ranch dressing which will all be smoked until heated through. It’s my first attempt at this recipe and I’m looking forward to serving it up!

View attachment 504287
View attachment 504288

heck yeah. I like this idea of smoking the ingredients and the dip! Will try.

Reactions: jark87
This morning I got up early to smoke a shoulder for tomorrow.

Was in panic mode cause I had my billows grate sensor plugged into wrong port on signals. Lol I was in panic mode cause I would have gone old school temp control and haven’t done it in a long time. I say back and stared for a bit and was like “yah ur an idiot. Wrong port.”

So back on track. I have to go make my corn pico now. I’m ahead of myself for yard work so I can sit back and relax today.

I’m going to reverse sear pork chops tonight on the recteq.

Edit 9 am. So now my daughter has me making 4 different ice creams for tomorrow. We got that creami ninja a while back. It’s pretty awesome. I highly recommend it.

Still haven’t eaten breakfast. Lol17E512DF-2D27-4DBD-A454-9ABF1B06A2F5.jpeg

1247 pm well I’m officially bored. Lol. I don’t think I have never had anything to do. I’m sitting here watching tv as I wait to wrap. I got my chops floating in a sea salt bath for 4 hours. I’ll throw the rub on them. Prob start that cook to hopefully eat at 6 pm. Been spraying every hour since hour 3. Just waiting now.

So windy today. I’m glad I didn’t fish. My buddies had a tournament today. My good friend who I fish with weekly has run a bass club for the past 35 years so Saturday is tournament day. I do a few here and there. It’s a long day. On water for 5 am start till 1 pm then weigh in and get back home to clean up boat is just too long of a day for me. I pre fish with him weekly though. Help him spot fish. I pick and choose which ones I do. Saturday I like to just take the kids out a few hours or hit the River with my other buddy on his jet boat.BFCA8165-D37E-4278-8D9B-3FD26170F019.jpeg342E0CEF-B2A0-4E18-92FD-D300BC08FA5A.jpeg5E54B21B-A0DF-4D90-925B-40268B913688.jpeg

Shoulder is off. Cooled for 30. Wrapped back up for 2-3 hrs in cooler. Bone is like falling out so I know I’m good and I got a ton of juice forfthexreheatctomorrow!

Got my chops slower cooking for a reverse sear and my Apple chutney is coming together.

I’m out! Pulled and packed. Juice separated. Good to go for tomorrow. It’s so tender. This might be the best one I have done.

2BA566DE-D97E-4FEC-AA58-56DFDBEBB353.jpegEAD9F15F-4FA7-43B2-96A8-8CB7052594CE.jpeg

Last edited:
This morning I got up early to smoke a shoulder for tomorrow.

Was in panic mode cause I had my billows grate sensor plugged into wrong port on signals. Lol I was in panic mode cause I would have gone old school temp control and haven’t done it in a long time. I say back and stared for a bit and was like “yah ur an idiot. Wrong port.”

So back on track. I have to go make my corn pico now. I’m ahead of myself for yard work so I can sit back and relax today.

I’m going to reverse sear pork chops tonight on the recteq.

Edit 9 am. So now my daughter has me making 4 different ice creams for tomorrow. We got that creami ninja a while back. It’s pretty awesome. I highly recommend it.

Still haven’t eaten breakfast. LolView attachment 504842

1247 pm well I’m officially bored. Lol. I don’t think I have never had anything to do. I’m sitting here watching tv as I wait to wrap. I got my chops floating in a sea salt bath for 4 hours. I’ll throw the rub on them. Prob start that cook to hopefully eat at 6 pm. Been spraying every hour since hour 3. Just waiting now.

So windy today. I’m glad I didn’t fish. My buddies had a tournament today. My good friend who I fish with weekly has run a bass club for the past 35 years so Saturday is tournament day. I do a few here and there. It’s a long day. On water for 5 am start till 1 pm then weigh in and get back home to clean up boat is just too long of a day for me. I pre fish with him weekly though. Help him spot fish. I pick and choose which ones I do. Saturday I like to just take the kids out a few hours or hit the River with my other buddy on his jet boat.View attachment 504967View attachment 504968View attachment 504969

Shoulder is off. Cooled for 30. Wrapped back up for 2-3 hrs in cooler. Bone is like falling out so I know I’m good and I got a ton of juice forfthexreheatctomorrow!

Got my chops slower cooking for a reverse sear and my Apple chutney is coming together.

I’m out! Pulled and packed. Juice separated. Good to go for tomorrow. It’s so tender. This might be the best one I have done.

View attachment 504996View attachment 504997
Yeah summertime is here got to get back into smoking some pulled pork :cheers:

Reactions: Decoy205 and jark87

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.