Official 2021 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another batch of fermented hot sauce. In this batch, I added red habaneros, red jalapenos, red serranos, red cayenne, red Thai Chile, and red hot banana peppers. Fermented for 5 weeks.

IMG_2371.jpg

Reactions: jark87
Another batch of fermented hot sauce. In this batch, I added red habaneros, red jalapenos, red serranos, red cayenne, red Thai Chile, and red hot banana peppers. Fermented for 5 weeks.

View attachment 373161
That sauce looks dangerous I think I see fire shooting out of the top of the bottles. 😂

That sauce looks dangerous I think I see fire shooting out of the top of the bottles. 😂

This batch actually wasn't all that hot. Fermentation does knock down the heat of the peppers. It has a lot of good flavor. I like my sauce to enhance my food without overpowering it. I want to be able to taste what I'm eating. It has the heat level of Frank's Red Hot Sauce.

What I didn't post was a photo of the leftover seeds and skins after straining. Instead of tossing it in the garbage, I use it in some dishes. I put a few teaspoons of it in my scrambled eggs for breakfast.

This batch actually wasn't all that hot. Fermentation does knock down the heat of the peppers. It has a lot of good flavor. I like my sauce to enhance my food without overpowering it. I want to be able to taste what I'm eating. It has the heat level of Frank's Red Hot Sauce.

What I didn't post was a photo of the leftover seeds and skins after straining. Instead of tossing it in the garbage, I use it in some dishes. I put a few teaspoons of it in my scrambled eggs for breakfast.
It is my understanding that the seeds are really the hot part of the peppers. I am very careful when I am removing the seeds of hot peppers. My eyes get very teary and I have to look away. And try not to breath too much. What can I say I am not much of vey spicy 🌶

Boneless and skinless chicken thighs on the recteq smoker :cheers:

Attachments

• 3D849F24-ABA2-4A34-9FBB-E99A512B2679.jpeg
    3D849F24-ABA2-4A34-9FBB-E99A512B2679.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 22
  • C1700CBD-3760-473C-A398-21CF2F626997.jpeg
    C1700CBD-3760-473C-A398-21CF2F626997.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 22
It is my understanding that the seeds are really the hot part of the peppers.
It’s actually the ribs inside the pepper, not the seeds. The seeds can get coated in the capsaicin (chemical compound which creates heat) because they are in contact with the ribs, but the seeds themselves don’t cause the heat.

My Cliff Clavin moment of the day….

It’s actually the ribs inside the pepper, not the seeds. The seeds can get coated in the capsaicin (chemical compound which creates heat) because they are in contact with the ribs, but the seeds themselves don’t cause the heat.

My Cliff Clavin moment of the day….
Thank you for the info I was told wrong 😑 I did some pablano peppers the other day and it was way too hot for my liking I only took out the seeds but I will try taking out the ribs and see if it is less hot 🥵

Reactions: jark87
I’m a looser my wife says cause I order mild wings and sometimes even say can I get them mild mild. Lol.

I always thought it was the seeds too. U learn something everyday here. Not just pool stuff. Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not a typical cook - used the rotisserie to roast some chickpeas. Super easy. Just rinsed, dried, coated in olive oil and dusted them with Malcom Reed’s Grande Gringo. The hint of smoke flavor really stands out and we have a healthy snack that’s as easy to reach for as a bag of chips.

1633443034428.jpeg

We’ll, it’s still in the low 90s here in DFW, but it’s a break from 100s and high humidity, so the weather is perfect for grilling just about every day. Grilled some halibut and a veggie medley for dinner today. Halibut was glazed with a melted butter, honey, minced garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce concoction. Put a light dusting of Lane’s Scorpion seasoning on it and grilled skin side down on cedar planks. Veggies were even more fun, as there’s some flambé action that was powered by Bulleit Rye. I’ve pasted a link to the YouTube video and highly recommend it if you want to give it a try.

1633652902359.jpeg
1633652930767.jpeg

Reactions: Leik and Bosley
The outdoor cooking continues! Unfortunately, Texas lost to OU today in a wild game, but the afternoon wasn’t a total loss with an easy chicken thigh cook. Dry brined for a couple of hours, a liberal dose of Lane’s Scorpion seasoning, and at the last minute, I decided to hit them with a light dusting of Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. At the end of the cook, coated them thoroughly with Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet Vidalia Onion sauce. I think they were my best chicken thigh cook to date! Several Revolver Blood & Honey brews made the game fun, even with that 33-yard TD run with .03 remaining. 😩

1633815751741.jpeg

A little bit of left overs for breakfast. Happy Sunday :cheers:

Attachments

• CA018302-C165-4345-AB37-2D5F878A75FF.jpeg
    CA018302-C165-4345-AB37-2D5F878A75FF.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 10
The outdoor cooking continues! Unfortunately, Texas lost to OU today in a wild game, but the afternoon wasn’t a total loss with an easy chicken thigh cook. Dry brined for a couple of hours, a liberal dose of Lane’s Scorpion seasoning, and at the last minute, I decided to hit them with a light dusting of Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. At the end of the cook, coated them thoroughly with Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet Vidalia Onion sauce. I think they were my best chicken thigh cook to date! Several Revolver Blood & Honey brews made the game fun, even with that 33-yard TD run with .03 remaining. 😩

View attachment 377000
I do chicken thighs on the Rectec smoker and they come out awesome, unfortunately DW does not like dark meat so I end up making chicken salad for lunch sandwiches for the week :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.