Official 2021 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For reverse searing, or even cooking in general, you could also buy a WiFi-enabled thermometer instead of constantly checking with something like a Thermopen. I'm a big reverse searer as well and life is much easier with a probe in the meat.

I use the Meater+. It's bluetooth/WiFi (depending on product), shows internal AND oven/grill temp, has cloud connectivity, configurable alerts, etc. I'm very happy with my 2. Best thing about it being wireless is I can use it during a rotisserie too.

I've used wired options (e.g., ones that you can connect 4 different probes to) and even with WiFi from the base unit they are not as slick as the Meater.

thanks guys that gives me some info to get me going. I just wanted an estimate so I knew if I needed 3 hrs vs 5 hrs to plan a bit. I figured I couldn't get an exact, but I really didn't know if it would take wicked long.

a girl I work with does the cold oven method thing. 550 for like 20 mins then shuts off her stove and lets it go for 4 hrs or so. she swears by it. I'm a big fan of the reverse sear cause of the way it renders. the fat like mentioned.

smoking one is deff a summer plan. I don't use my egg in the winter. too cold to be out there. lol

I pretty much have stock in thermopen. signals for summer smoking and grill use. I don't use it inside cause our work stove has a built in probe with works very well actually. multiple thermopens. I even use there no touch temp probe for work with pt's.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
For Christmas I got a very nice 14" hammered steel wok -

View attachment 172251

Decided my first run would be an easy fried rice recipe and some moo-shu pork -

View attachment 172252

View attachment 172253

View attachment 172254

Came out good but my stove top doesn't really have all the gas power I need to get the really distinct seared wok flavor. So my next acquisition will be for a 200,000BTU/hr outdoor camp stove, something like this .... That should really give me the heat I need to get the wok flaming hot. I'd like to find a camp stove that I could convert to NG instead of having to buy propane tanks so I'll entertain any recommendations if anyone has had good luck with a particular brand ...

Happy New Year all....

@JoyfulNoise I knew someone had to have one :)

@JoyfulNoise I knew someone had to have one :)

Use the 44 Jet Natural Gas Jet Burner for getting your natural gas to working on those larger pots. Although natural gas is considered a low pressure gas, the 44 jet natural gas jet burner helps produce more heat for your bigger applications. We have heard that the 44 jet natural gas jet burners get so hot, you could melt your pot! Each jet on the 44 jet natural gas jet burner produces approximately 10,000 BTUs per jet. Please note: Make SURE your pot is a minimum of 12 inches from the tips of the natural gas brass jets! They will melt your pot!!!!

They will MELT your pot !!!

FIRE!!

For reverse searing, or even cooking in general, you could also buy a WiFi-enabled thermometer instead of constantly checking with something like a Thermopen. I'm a big reverse searer as well and life is much easier with a probe in the meat.

I use the Meater+. It's bluetooth/WiFi (depending on product), shows internal AND oven/grill temp, has cloud connectivity, configurable alerts, etc. I'm very happy with my 2. Best thing about it being wireless is I can use it during a rotisserie too.

I've used wired options (e.g., ones that you can connect 4 different probes to) and even with WiFi from the base unit they are not as slick as the Meater.
@BigD23 you just cost me money and I thank you for it :) :cheers: I bought the 4 Meater block, so nice to have 4 meats at once.. MEATER Block

Reactions: BigD23
I got a Meater+ for Christmas, first cook was a rib roast. Worked like champ, found out my oven temp was off by 25*. When I do a rib roast I start it a 500* for 20 minutes then 325* till done. New trick this year was to set it in a roasting pan on a bed of onions, carrots and celery. With that I add rosemary and 2 cups of beef stock. Makes a great start for the gravy.

I also picked up an Enzoo 4 prob kit, with remote. Smoking some ribs as we type. :cool:

Reactions: BigD23

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mrs Salty cooked something over the holidays that didn't get smoked. (the horror, right?) Left an opportunity to smoke a side item....mashed potatoes! They were a real hit.

Cube & boil them mostly like normal except pull them out of the water a little early. Smoke the cubes in a basket then continue with the mashing. Deeelicious.

It’s not just Tucson, it’s ALL of AZ!! I would love to have half of what I mentioned above right now. AZ’s idea of Chinese food is Panda Express. 🤢🤢

I can’t wait to go back east (we were supposed to this past September, but, yeah, we all know what happened) to eat my way through my vacation. Here’s hoping (and praying) that we can this year!!!!
No, Panda Express is Panda Express, not Chinese food just like Taco Bell is Taco Bell, not Mexican. Our family went to Sampan in Mesa when I was growing up and out turns out my husband was a busboy there too 😊. We like Hong Kong Kitchen in Gilbert. The Facebook page for the neighborhood we live in has discussions occasionally about where the best Chinese food restaurants are. It can get to be a heated discussion 😂.

No, Panda Express is Panda Express, not Chinese food just like Taco Bell is Taco Bell, not Mexican. Our family went to Sampan in Mesa when I was growing up and out turns out my husband was a busboy there too 😊. We like Hong Kong Kitchen in Gilbert. The Facebook page for the neighborhood we live in has discussions occasionally about where the best Chinese food restaurants are. It can get to be a heated discussion 😂.
Panda Express is passed off as Chinese food, as they have similar dishes that resemble traditional Chinese food.

I’ve eaten at both of those places that you mentioned, and they’re not bad, but not the same.

The east coast (NY to Boston) is a huge melting pot of ethnic food from all kinds of nationalities. So living there and having it all at your fingertips, you know good food.

Once you have “NY style” Chinese food, nothing else compares. :cheers:

hey guys. I'm making this tomorrow. I'm not doing the potatoes at the end cause we will make mashed.

anything else you would all change with this recipe? I'm going to add more liquid stock each time I take it out to turn it so I can make gravy at the end. plus I think the liquid will totally evaporate after each hour.

think I should do any other dry spices on the meat besides the salt and pepper?

it just looks like it will be a good meal.

I'm going to shoot for 203-205 finished temp right? never did a brisket even on the smoker.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.