Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okie doke..... well, went to the RecTec fest. Gates opened at 07:30, we got there at 07:45 thinking we'd be the only souls arriving that early..... Ha! They were already having to use Overflow parking. Hundreds of folks! To get in to the warehouse with the scratch and dent selection you had to get a number ...we were #431. They let 50 folks in at a time starting in numerical order to look over the used, refurbished or scratch/dent grills. We made chatty nice with a very young couple who shared their extra ticket nuimber #138 with us so we had half a chance of getting something.

After looking at the scratch and dent monster grills, we settled on a new "baby" grill #340 Trailblazer grill for $450. It looks like a good beginner or small family sized smoker/gril.

Fun day, sadly just a bit cold and windy whereas yesterday was almost 80 degrees. Julie- I found Jim B. and said hey to him, but he was struggling to put up his RV's awning in the wind so didn't have a chance to talk more than a minute. :). He said "hey" backatcha.

Now- to learn how to use it! All directions/suggestions/recipes welcome :)

Maddie :flower:

Okie doke..... well, went to the RecTec fest. Gates opened at 07:30, we got there at 07:45 thinking we'd be the only souls arriving that early..... Ha! They were already having to use Overflow parking. Hundreds of folks! To get in to the warehouse with the scratch and dent selection you had to get a number ...we were #431. They let 50 folks in at a time starting in numerical order to look over the used, refurbished or scratch/dent grills. We made chatty nice with a very young couple who shared their extra ticket nuimber #138 with us so we had half a chance of getting something.

After looking at the scratch and dent monster grills, we settled on a new "baby" grill #340 Trailblazer grill for $450. It looks like a good beginner or small family sized smoker/gril.

Fun day, sadly just a bit cold and windy whereas yesterday was almost 80 degrees. Julie- I found Jim B. and said hey to him, but he was struggling to put up his RV's awning in the wind so didn't have a chance to talk more than a minute. :). He said "hey" backatcha.

Now- to learn how to use it! All directions/suggestions/recipes welcome :)

Maddie :flower:
Sooooooo envious that grill looks great and good deal at $450. I use Mr Butt rub on all my meat and vegetables

post lots of pics please :cheers:

Ok here is my first attempt using this gadget. This is Sous Vide New York strip. Perfect rare as you can see. Sous vide for 1 hr and then finish high sear 30 sec per side :cheers:
697EA377-BF1E-43AA-9876-E38C57989DFA.jpeg86D06E07-55CF-4969-941D-37609F1AB2D2.jpeg721EF953-CBCB-40C2-A31E-DC6C0A2FB2CB.jpegF2107D0C-ADEB-4A4C-A4D5-5EFCBFA24FAA.jpeg

Reactions: Lagerman64
Nope, time does not usually matter on the sous vide. The temperature is the temperature. I like 128 degrees a little more medium rare but does not matter if it is one hour or four. If you go too long the meat will become over tenderized and mushy. I do NY strips for 3-4 hours. Flank steaks for about 8-9 hours. Leg of lamb for about 12 hours. The tougher the cut of meat the longer you can go.

Another trick we do is dry rub some chicken breasts then vacuum seal them and freeze them. Drop them straight in the sous vide for 2 hours quick sear on the grill and ready to go.

Reactions: Newdude
H
Nope, time does not usually matter on the sous vide. The temperature is the temperature. I like 128 degrees a little more medium rare but does not matter if it is one hour or four. If you go too long the meat will become over tenderized and mushy. I do NY strips for 3-4 hours. Flank steaks for about 8-9 hours. Leg of lamb for about 12 hours. The tougher the cut of meat the longer you can go.

Another trick we do is dry rub some chicken breasts then vacuum seal them and freeze them. Drop them straight in the sous vide for 2 hours quick sear on the grill and ready to go.
Kato good advice here will post more pics later. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And for all the food safety people out there the longer cook times also help. Since it is time plus heat that kill bacteria.

It’s a bit more complicated than that -

If microbial growth results in the formation of exotoxins, such as botulinum toxin from C. Botulinum bacteria, the exotoxins will persist through heat exposure and that can lead to sickness. This is why curing processes that don’t involve high heat have to be tightly controlled or else you can make yourself very sick.

But, generally speaking, if you use fresh ingredients and practice good kitchen hygiene, sous vide is very safe.

It’s chili night! Fresh ground chuck & pork, bell pepper & black beans. My chili spice mix includes cocoa powder (unsweetened) and cinnamon. The usual sides will be served (rice, avocado slices, sour cream, shredded cheese)

View attachment 127574
Dude - you're killing me here with the tease of the sides (especially the last 3) and no pic. I wanna see the complete presentation. C'mon - from one AZ transplant to another. That is some fine looking chili though.

• Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
It’s chili night! Fresh ground chuck & pork, bell pepper & black beans. My chili spice mix includes cocoa powder (unsweetened) and cinnamon. The usual sides will be served (rice, avocado slices, sour cream, shredded cheese)

View attachment 127574
All good Matt, sometimes I forget ,to take pics of the final presentation, it could be too much adult beverages consumed :cheers:

• Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.