Official 2017 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Re: Official 2017 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Makes a great aftershave too...pork grease feels real good on the razor burn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulled pork use #2 - Lunch from leftovers!

My take on a chile relleno: Stufffed poblano pepper with pulled pork, grilled corn, cheese, and cilantro over an enchilada sauce. I usually garnish with queso cotija but alas, the cupboard was bare.

chile.jpg

Today am using a bag of Frontera Red Chile Enchilada sauce by Rick Bayless. Not quite good as homemade but better than the canned stuff.

Pulled pork use #2 - Lunch from leftovers!

My take on a chile relleno: Stufffed poblano pepper with pulled pork, grilled corn, cheese, and cilantro over an enchilada sauce. I usually garnish with queso cotija but alas, the cupboard was bare.

View attachment 57731

Today am using a bag of Frontera Red Chile Enchilada sauce by Rick Bayless. Not quite good as homemade but better than the canned stuff.

Nice work!! I love chile relleno...and I saw some beautiful Poblano peppers in the supermarket today.

What's your enchilada sauce recipe? I prefer homemade to cans or bags any day.

What's your enchilada sauce recipe? I prefer homemade to cans or bags any day.

I don't have anything written down and usually wing it based on what I can get at the market. Usually a 1:1 ratio of dried Ancho and Guajillo chiles, seeded and stemmed. Soak in warm water until the pods are soft.
Take the chilies and place in a blender and add minced garlic, dried oregano*, salt, and a dash of the soaking liquid. Blend and add enough soaking liquid until the desired consistency is reached, then run through a strainer - or not. :).

*Sometimes I use menudo mix instead of oregano. Adds more herbaceous flavor and heat.

I don't have anything written down and usually wing it based on what I can get at the market. Usually a 1:1 ratio of dried Ancho and Guajillo chiles, seeded and stemmed. Soak in warm water until the pods are soft.
Take the chilies and place in a blender and add minced garlic, dried oregano*, salt, and a dash of the soaking liquid. Blend and add enough soaking liquid until the desired consistency is reached, then run through a strainer - or not. :).

*Sometimes I use menudo mix instead of oregano. Adds more herbaceous flavor and heat.

I'm going to give this a try. I have a bag of dried New Mexico chile pods and next time I'm at the store I'll pick up some of the others you mention. Do you or have you ever fire roasted your own chiles and use those?

I'm going to give this a try. I have a bag of dried New Mexico chile pods and next time I'm at the store I'll pick up some of the others you mention. Do you or have you ever fire roasted your own chiles and use those?

I love roasting chiles on the gasser. That's wholesome entertainment! Great for salsas but I haven't tried a fresh enchilada sauce. Every recipe I've seen calls for dried. Let me know how it goes! :chef:

Uncle Flappy inspired me today - so I did a little "variation" on his chile relleno -

27f2e8743cac2e53d1db109f2144133d-1.jpg

I had left-over beef brisket and decided to stuff fire-roasted red bell peppers that I stuffed with a mixture of fire roasted corn, brisket and cheese. Everything was roasted and cooked on the gas grille.

2285a381eb2ffecb49acfc3f71d3ccf3-1.jpg

I also made fresh salsa verde with these beautiful tomatillos I found at the market -

088ce50bab7232a14a0defdbb6ce5a54-1.jpg

Fire-Roasted Salsa Verde -

8-10 tomatillos, husks removed and washed (very important to wash fresh tomatillos)
1 small white onion
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 lime, juiced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
1 tsp salt
2 tsp favorite hot sauce (I use Chollula brand)

Fire roast tomatillos, onion and garlic. Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until desired consistency. I like my salsa a little chunky but a smooth purée is fine too. It's also great on eggs in the morning.

410d8407944cb30f7577d8624613a5f6-1.jpg

fd8119afa8f617ca6a23148235ad8fd2-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Wow - Looks great!

With temps continuing to warm up, JN, any plans with the egg this weekend?

RIBS -

02350692c2696f5095607c00f8838303-1.jpg

That's 8lbs of baby back ribs in the lower frame....that reminds me to prep them tonight with some Mr Stubbs BBQ Rub.

Ahh. I am a fan of pigcicles. If I find any on sale, I may join you from the other side of town.

I shall look towards the West for smoke signals Ke-mo sah-bee

Here's the setup - three racks (8lbs total) baby back ribs. Dry rubbed with Mr. Stubbs BBQ rub, Tony Chachere's creole spice mix and LOTS of brown sugar. Wrapped and resting in the fridge until tomorrow.

2a2a7dd2c3e0fd240ae519de27f6e3f4-1.jpg

The game plan is to start up the smoker and go low & slo at 220F for about 5 hours. The ribs will be in my upright ceramic coated steel rack, uncovered. I plan to cook for 1 hour then spray them hourly with a mixture of apple juice and maple syrup. I'm going for super-sticky sweet with lots of smokey bark.

I love it - especially the spritzing. Stomach grumbling...

I can't tell from the photo - do you remove the membrane or prefer to leave it on?

Normally I try to pull the membrane off but it was very difficult. It was very thin to nonexistent so I decided to just score the back crosswise with a boning knife to minimize any curl that might occur.

I'm going to eat light tomorrow so that I can devour a rack all on my own :D

Hoping I can get to the store today to buy some pork. Went out to check on the pool and found that the air relief valve has a hairline crack at the pressure gauge. Drip, drip, drip... Seems to happen every 1-2 years. Change in temps maybe? It is in direct sunlight facing east.

Good news is that Amazon Prime has a $62 replacement on same day shipping. Pool store is over $100. I should get the replacement by 9pm. Hopefully I can replace that tomorrow with the smell of smoke in the air. Ribs + equipment maintenance + adult beverage = a good weekend

My air relief valve did that last year...right on Easter. Amazon Prime next day delivery solved it and I was back in action. I also took the opportunity to install a higher resolution glycerin filled gauge. Now I can read 1/2psi increments. My equipment is in direct sun, western exposure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.