Odd picture in pool bottom

May 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, I am looking at buying a home, the pool has this in the bottom, I took a picture but honestly I cannot tell what it is besides it appears that the concrete looks like bigfoot stepped in it and cracked the bottom.

Please tell me some thoughts because if this is a crack, can it be fixed with relative ease or????

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9900.JPG
    IMG_9900.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 75
What type of pool is it? Plaster or vinyl liner?

Looks like the plasterer left a heel print and the pool owners just left it like that. View it as a beauty mark. If the pool is not losing water I would not try and fix it.

Best case would be to get some kind of legitimate pool inspection, separate from the regular home inspection.

If that's not going to happen I would at least want to dive down with a good dye syringe and make sure waters not leaking out of there.

Looks like the plasterer left a heel print and the pool owners just left it like that. View it as a beauty mark. If the pool is not losing water I would not try and fix it.
I hear that, but at this point no way to check for leaks in this buying situation. Also no idea if it's losing water except they had a portable autofill hanging on the side. The owner is deceased and it's an estate deal.

I hear that, but at this point no way to check for leaks in this buying situation. Also no idea if it's losing water except they had a portable autofill hanging on the side. The owner is deceased and it's an estate deal.
also it's about a foot long and say 8" wide, not a heel print, too large for that

Whatever it is, it is repairable.

At an estate sale price I would let it ruin the deal. You are buying a lot of other stuff as is with the house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What can the seller tell you about the condition of the pool?

Hire a local professional expert to inspect the pool and advise you.

Find out who built the pool and who has done any service on the pool and then go talk to those people.

What can the seller tell you about the condition of the pool?

Hire a local professional expert to inspect the pool and advise you.

Find out who built the pool and who has done any service on the pool and then go talk to those people.
I agree but in our market (Texas) askers and checkers just get passed over. I assume it will need repair and I have to factor replastering in. I just cannot find a pool guy to give me a rough estimate on replastering.

I agree but in our market (Texas) askers and checkers just get passed over. I assume it will need repair and I have to factor replastering in. I just cannot find a pool guy to give me a rough estimate on replastering.

Figure replastering will run $10K +/- 20% if nothing else needs to be repaired.

I'm just a guy who reads a lot of pool forums but from what I've heard in Texas a rough range would be $10-20k. Figure $15-20k including a VGB drain retrofit. Unlikely to reach $20k+ unless get into renovation above the tile line.

If the plaster is bad, plan to do the tile and coping as well.

Without seeing it, plan to have to redo everything until proven otherwise.

I would estimate at least $20,000.00 to $30,000.00 to renovate the pool.

At least get an inspection to see if the pool has any major problems like if it ever floated or if it needs new plumbing.

If the plaster is bad, plan to do the tile and coping as well.

Without seeing it, plan to have to redo everything until proven otherwise.

I would estimate at least $20,000.00 to $30,000.00 to renovate the pool.

At least get an inspection to see if the pool has any major problems like if it ever floated or if it needs new plumbing.
let me ask you about this floating, it has a stamped concrete faux rock decking all around it, there is one spot where the decking has either dropped or lifted, about 2" at a expansion joint. Do you think that is a sign or could that just be the decking moving? The soil there is horrible and causes a lot of slab issues for everyone, but it is what it is as far as soil. There are no trees near that spot where the decking shifted. I should have taken pictures. WHich I may go back and do.

So far, all we have is a single picture of a small section of the plaster.

Is the pool covered?

If yes, remove the cover and take lots of pictures.

An inspection by a qualified professional would be your best option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.