Odd calcium ?? buildup..

dunginhawk

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
CLIVE/IA
So my pool is about a month and a half old. The first month the CH was around 100... I upped it recently to 220.
I dont know if this was happening before or after the change, but either way I noticed these little deposits.

you can see them just above the water line... What i think is happening is that the 2 returns (on this sun shelf) are creating waves, which is where the tops of these deposits are.
Regardless of their cause, is there any way to prevent them? They were scraped off with a plastic scraper and came off looking like chunks of fingernail. Pretty thick deposits of calcium I presume.
I then cleaned with off the wall product which removed the rest of the cloudy deposits. Hoping this doesnt become a weekly or even monthly thing... .
thanks in advance.

To make sure, I would first try to gather some of those particles you are scraping-off, place in a pile somewhere safe (i.e. grass) and pour a little acid on it to see if it fizzes. If it does, you know it's calcium. It's odd that they appeared in just those two locations though. Not sure if the return jet aeration has some sort effect to those specific areas, but it may be worth adjusting the jets a bit lower to see. You might also post a full set of water test results for us to compare in case we see something else worth considering.

Pat... they showed up in more places.. mostly around the return jet.. so im certain its because of that... probably 15-20 of them... but by the time the waves created by the return dissipate, those go away... I didnt grab a sample unfortunately.
However I did use that product called Off The Wall, which worked well on that buildup (not the crusty scale but the white residue). I noticed that when it came in contact with the area where concrete met the fiberglass there was some bubbling up there. Im not sure of the makeup of the concrete, but could be some calcium in that too... Perhaps when the concrete is done curing and leaching it will be better...
Those humps in the water are definitely from the return jets and im 99% are calcium as well.. just thought it was odd.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.