OCLT? SLEEPY

Apr 1, 2012
Opened daughter's pool this week using the "green swamp" post in this great forum. Has always worked like a charm. Slam process all day yesterday. Water is beautiful light blue but milky/cloudy (can't see the bottom) and I understand that it might take up to a week to clear because it is a sand filter. I may use the DE method this week to help clear. CYA 40, using walmart 10% liquid chlorine. The last 3 FC test were all exactly 13 ppm out of a required 16 ppm shock level and having to add 66 ounces of chlorine. The last test and addition was at 10pm last night. Awaking early this morning to beat the sun hitting the pool to drive to her home (15 minutes away) Of course the test result is 13 again ( CC is .5) and so failed the OCLT. It is very curious to me that the test result and required chlorine addition is exactly the same (with or without sunlight) at a one hour interval, 2 hour interval, 4 hour interval and finally 7.5 hour interval. Do you think that the Walmart chlorine is too old (December expiration according to the jugs), or that I just still haven't won the war? Any opinions? I would prefer not to get up and drive to her home before sunrise every morning :) I'm sleepy. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_185155.jpg
    IMG_20200501_185155.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 13
Give the water just enough time to circulate the LC...maybe 20-30 mins. Test again and make sure you're getting the targeted FC level. If not, adjust the dosage of the LC. Four months is pretty old bleach depending on how long it was stored.

Reactions: titanup224
Yes that is a current picture. And I have never been aware that you have to have clear water before you perform the OCLT.....until now. Have always dreaded opening her pool for this reason.....many early mornings in a row before I passed the test. I feel like an idiot. Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.

Yes. That is the SLAM Process. Read the article.
I read the article. I watched the video. I have followed the pinned sticky on " turning your green swamp into a sparkling oasis" for years. I have been getting up before sunrise for days in a row to perform the OCLT for several years. None of these resources, not one says: Do not perform the OCLT test until your water is clear OR to wait until the water is clear before you perform OCLT. In fact, some of these resources list clear water as the last of the requirements for passing the SLAM process. So I have been under the impression that you can shock and pass the OCLT and THEN clear/filter your water. Thank you sir for your concise instruction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.