OCLT question re: very high chlorine

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
Been slowly getting my pool ready for swimming. It’s looking pretty good but, it’s been too cold here to swim. I cleaned up the pool yesterday (vacuumed, brushed, . . .) and then I made a bit of a mistake. I dumped a gallon of LC in the pool. That brought the chlorine level to 17 when I did my test last night after sunset. (Note to self - never add anything without a current reading and using pool math.). This morning I did my pre-dawn test and it looked like I passed but 34 drops is a lot and doing the test twice gave me slightly different answers. (32 drops and 34 drops). So, this is my plan and my question:

My plan is to let the chlorine float down to something more like 10 and retest. Basically do an OCLT for however many days it takes to get the chlorine down. Of course if it’s still high at night, I’ll skip getting up early. I’ll get up early when the night time reading is lower than 10 (20 drops). Anyone see any problem with this?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Entirely fine. Human error is really in play making so many perfect drops. The worst that can happen is that you may extend your SLAM by a few days because being below SLAM fc isn't as efficient, but at or above target level, you won't 'lose any ground' if there is still algae. You'd just be killing it a bit slower. 👍

Reactions: Mdragger88
The variation on number of drops can be caused by a variety of reasons from difference in angle and pressure applied to the bottle to how chlorine is actually diluted in the water or the location you got the sample. Even everything being perfect there are tiny variations on the size of each drop that can cause a variation of plus/minus a drop in several. Of course we are humans and most of the time we were just distracted and counted it wrong.

“A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.” — Segal’s law

The worst that can happen is that you may extend your SLAM by a few days because being below SLAM fc isn't as efficient

I don't think pb4 is intentionally slamming, he just wanted to add some chlorine and do an OCLT to decide if a slam is in order after winter. But then he added accidentally too much chlorine and is now at slam level. Kind of a pre slam.

But nevertheless, I agree, the plan is entirely reasonable.

Reactions: Newdude
I’m down to 10 (20 drops) and it held from sunset to sun up. All I need to do now is balance the rest of the chemicals, including bringing my CYA higher and start the heater. By Wednesday of this coming week, we’ll be in the high 70’s. Good enough for me to swim. Plus, it’s my daughter’s birthday so a pool party/cook out is on the agenda!

Reactions: mgtfp and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.