OCD Pool Equipment Layout & Chemical Automation Underway

Mar 22, 2017
McKinney
We built a pool last year and had a lot of trouble with the builder. Everything was built several times and I decided that I didn’t want them fixing their piping mistakes. Well I am finally getting around to doing it myself. I am most of the way there and should have the rest of the parts by next weekend. 111022

Reactions: MyAZPool
Piping thought after completing 75%.

1. It takes longer than you think.
  2. It is more expensive than I planned.
  3. Texas is hot.
  4. Gpm increased about 25% with the same pump. More to come once the bypasses are balanced.
  5. I had to eliminate some gauges due to pad space limitations.
  6. I upsized a few of the lines to 3” due to the increased wall thickness of schedule 80 pvc.
I’m sure I’ll have more.

Plan and thoughts on chemical automation:

1. I am using a rosemount 1056 chlorine analyzer with 4-20ma outputs
  2. I ordered a rosemount true ppm amperomatic free chlorine sensor.
  3. I ordered a walchem dosing pump.
  4. I need to add check valves.
  5. Lines in the sensing and dosing manifold left to right.
    1. Ozonation with degassing vessel.
    2. Ph and chlorine sensors
    3. Chlorine injection
    4. Acid injection
    5. Future pot feeder for dry chems to be controlled with solenoid valve or liquid blanket injection.
Hoping to have this all up and running in a week or so.

This is our small pool with full sized equipment. Our original goal was to be able to use the pool year around and be able to change the temperature quickly. The water can be turned over in about 40 min. The unique challenge has been over chlorination on chlorine erosion feeders.

HifiGuy84
Very nice. A few things really stand out to me.
I really dig the use of the unistruts everywhere.
I especially like the use of the cable tray for the LFMC/FNMC.

The inline gauges are very impressive. Can you please give some more detail about those and what each one does (maybe you plan on labeling later)?
I'm always impressed with folks that take their time and give their pad lots of attention-to-detail.

More details about the gauges and some of the other high tech items would be good reading for a few of us here.

Thanks so much for sharing and look forward to learning more about your methods and equipment.
Great Job :goodjob:
Pool looks very nice as well.
r.

Last edited:
Plan and thoughts on chemical automation:

1. I am using a rosemount 1056 chlorine analyzer with 4-20ma outputs
  2. I ordered a rosemount true ppm amperomatic free chlorine sensor.
  3. I ordered a walchem dosing pump.
  4. I need to add check valves.
  5. Lines in the sensing and dosing manifold left to right.
    1. Ozonation with degassing vessel.
    2. Ph and chlorine sensors
    3. Chlorine injection
    4. Acid injection
    5. Future pot feeder for dry chems to be controlled with solenoid valve or liquid blanket injection.
Hoping to have this all up and running in a week or so.
This list looks to be impressive and promising. I'm certainly following! Calling mcqwerty and jonpcar. I was thinking that you two, may have an interest at taking a look see at some of this as well.
Eating my popcorn and watching with interest. :epds:

Reactions: mcqwerty
HifiGuy84
Very nice. A few things really stand out to me.
I really dig the use of the unistruts everywhere.
I especially like the use of the cable tray for the LFMC/FNMC.

The inline gauges are very impressive. Can you please give some more detail about those and what each one does (maybe you plan on labeling later)?
I'm always impressed with folks that take their time and give their pad lots of attention-to-detail. Especially one's that take their time and do a professional looking job painting their plumbing etc.

More details about the gauges and some of the other high tech items would be good reading for a few of us here.

Thanks so much for sharing and look forward to learning more about your methods and equipment.
Great Job :goodjob:
Pool looks very nice as well.
r.

Thanks!

The intent of the gauges is to show the following:
  • Pressure drop through each main body. This will help me understand if something changes in the system and also what the effect on flow is for each of the water paths. This information can be used to better position valves for optimal flow for a given purpose. For example, the most heat transfer from the heat pump occurs at 55GPM.
  • Temperature gauges will be used to understand the temperature change through the heater/ chiller and gas heater. It will help monitor efficiency and energy input vs. result. These are really just data points to optimize the system with. If they change, it is also an indicator that something may be wrong.
  • Vac/ Pressure Gauges On Pump - Can be used to ascertain flow from the pump data sheets. This is a little better than most flow meters because it doesn't create pressure drop.
  • Vertical inline flow meters on manifold - The diaphragm valves will allow for linear flow adjustment and the gauges will allow you to see flow in real time. Generally speaking, process instrumentation will specify a flow range where the sensors will work optimally. This setup should allow for that adjustment.
I am using a mix of PLCs, Control4, and Jandy iaqualink to accomplish the automation. For example if I open the back door at night the pool turns on. If I press the light switch 3 times near the back door, both heaters come on. More to come on the automation side. I'll try to take some pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just wondering what you do for a living? That's some serious pipe work....

I hope you never move 'cause I'd hate to be the next owner trying to make heads or tails out of all that!! :laughblue:

Maddie :flower:

I am in project management in the construction industry. I try to bring some of the best practices from work into my projects from home. Also it is really nice to better understand the realities of the trade's person by doing some of it myself. This project along with our whole house HEPA bypass, raised floor AV/ IT equipment room, 7 electrical panels, soda fountain, will all be a challenge one day when we sell. No one will understand the value of what they are getting. Hopefully I can put together an O&M book or offer a class, This is something I worry about.

Thanks!

The intent of the gauges is to show the following:
  • Pressure drop through each main body. This will help me understand if something changes in the system and also what the effect on flow is for each of the water paths. This information can be used to better position valves for optimal flow for a given purpose. For example, the most heat transfer from the heat pump occurs at 55GPM.
  • Temperature gauges will be used to understand the temperature change through the heater/ chiller and gas heater. It will help monitor efficiency and energy input vs. result. These are really just data points to optimize the system with. If they change, it is also an indicator that something may be wrong.
  • Vac/ Pressure Gauges On Pump - Can be used to ascertain flow from the pump data sheets. This is a little better than most flow meters because it doesn't create pressure drop.
  • Vertical inline flow meters on manifold - The diaphragm valves will allow for linear flow adjustment and the gauges will allow you to see flow in real time. Generally speaking, process instrumentation will specify a flow range where the sensors will work optimally. This setup should allow for that adjustment.
I am using a mix of PLCs, Control4, and Jandy iaqualink to accomplish the automation. For example if I open the back door at night the pool turns on. If I press the light switch 3 times near the back door, both heaters come on. More to come on the automation side. I'll try to take some pictures.
Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Attachments

• 7FF738DE-C5DB-425E-B6B4-804640169104.png
    7FF738DE-C5DB-425E-B6B4-804640169104.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 870D0CDF-512B-4745-8FA9-CC5581AD1C37.png
    870D0CDF-512B-4745-8FA9-CC5581AD1C37.png
    120 KB · Views: 8
  • FB4C24BD-F6B5-41F9-9498-B9E936A28800.png
    FB4C24BD-F6B5-41F9-9498-B9E936A28800.png
    538.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 160C0342-04B6-4DF9-8273-C2CF426ED610.png
    160C0342-04B6-4DF9-8273-C2CF426ED610.png
    544.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DC8C7632-2F5D-4CD4-ADDA-E7AF1F4EDFCA.png
    DC8C7632-2F5D-4CD4-ADDA-E7AF1F4EDFCA.png
    544.5 KB · Views: 6
Very clean looks great. Thia is the type of work you cant pay to have done. Nobody will go thru the trouble to care enough. From a fellow nutjob my hats off to you. I for one can appreciate the time and effort you out into this. And I agree the crossover would bug me I have one too and its underground and it still haunts me even though I cant see it anymore. Again nicely done my friend. Make sure to write a simple manual if you ever sell the home down the road while its still fresh in your mind

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.