OB in NW Las Vegas- Open book here and on a budget

You don't need to worry about the chlorine level until you discontinue the pucks. Once the startup is over you can add salt, cya and mange the pool based off the recommended levels.

If for some reason you want to add cya and raise the chlorine level now, there is nothing wrong with that either
Thanks Brian,
I’ll leave the chlorine and CYA alone. 11 days in and the process has been no problem (With your expertise). PH continues to rise to 8.0-8.2 (Target 7.8) both during the day and over night. Still using approximately 1/2 gallon of 29% MA each day. I have been using JamieP’s thread as a gauge to my progress. What targets are we looking for to determine that the startup is over?

Thanks Brian,
I’ll leave the chlorine and CYA alone. 11 days in and the process has been no problem (With your expertise). PH continues to rise to 8.0-8.2 (Target 7.8) both during the day and over night. Still using approximately 1/2 gallon of 29% MA each day. I have been using JamieP’s thread as a gauge to my progress. What targets are we looking for to determine that the startup is over?

3-4 weeks should do it

Bicarbonate startup updates-
I haven’t posted in a few days. I think all is going well. Did a complete test this afternoon. I’ll provide some back dated numbers also.
03-31-18
8PM
PH- 8.0. Added 13 oz MA

4-1-18
9AM
PH 7.9. Added 7 oz MA

8PM
PH 7.9. Added 7 oz MA

4-2-18
10AM
PH 7.8. Did nothing

2PM
Temp- 67 degrees
PH- 7.9. Will add 7 oz MA
FC- .5
CC- 0
CH- 300
TA- 200
CYA- 0

MA additions have dropped a bunch. Still doing nothing other than Trichlor pucks floating and targeting PH-7.8. Brushing daily or every other day. Just looking at the clean water!
Do I need to change anything?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Three weeks since water fill. New numbers for the bicarbonate startup:

Temp- 64 degrees
PH. 8.1. (Adjusted to 7.8)
FC. .5
CC. .5
CH. 300
TA. 170
CYA. 0 (Close to dissappearing the black dot)

High temperatures will be in the low 90’s this week. Do I want to change anything?

If it were mine, I'd be happy with what I was doing on alkalinity and pH, but would add CYA to have it in a reliably measured range. Sun is getting higher in the sky, and I would want to know for sure I'm in good shape in terms of sanitation. 30 ppm CYA and 3 ppm FC would be my targets for now, then in a couple weeks 50 and 5, then a couple weeks later 70 and 7. Just my two cents.

Apologies for dissappearing the last week. Somehow the employer decided they were more important than my pool chemistry.
Still trying to finish a few odd and ends on the pool project.
28 days since water fill and here are my numbers:
Temp- 66
PH- 7.6
FC- 3.5 (adjusting to 5)
CC- 0
CH- 325
TA 160
CYA 70
I’m guessing that I am done with the bicarbonate startup. Most of the numbers appear to be where I want to maintain them. TA has remained a bit high at 160. My plan is a lot of aeration and MA to control PH. Should I be concerned about the TA at this point.
I will be installing the swg this week and will add salt. Trichlor pucks will come out.

Any input is appreciated.

Will be working on finishing fake rocks and adding a little bit of landscaping over the next couple of weeks. I’ll add photos when something looks better that the water fill pictures.

Looking forward to the swimming season thanks to a bunch of you.

Yeah jobs or work do tend to want some attention now and then :roll: don't they know you have a new baby pool to take care of??

When you are ready we can start working on the TA. Here is the link if you want to start it on your own. You are a pro at testing so should be able to do it. It is easy: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity Shoot for 80 and we will start asking your pool what IT wants the TA

Kim:kim:

I’ve neglected this page for the last month. I’ll scream that life got in the way but family and I have found time to enjoy the pool.
Just a little update. Still trying to complete some finish items like fire feature and spa blower. Sub-contractor is slammed with work and being a bit difficult with scheduling some finish work. Kept landscaping and decor simple. ($$$$).
Still having problems with some electrical work. SWG is running on the feature pump. Electricians are arguing that there is a problem with the Easytouch motherboard. I say something is not wired correctly. (I’m no electrician). Gonna test the Pentair warranty service next week.
Water chemistry is in TFP parameters and it shows in great looking water. Thanks TFP!!
Had family over for a Mother’s Day dinner/ Golden Knights Hockey party on Saturday. Spent time with about 40 family members and close friends. Catered taco stand and I really realized some of the benefits of this pool project. Still planning a BBQ island when my wallet recovers.BEF2D6F5-A9C6-4CAB-A28C-76599D2BCABF.jpg989D5330-0D7E-4C29-8775-C1B2157B6566.jpg19F7F398-68A7-4974-BC25-622C17997EE4.jpg4E0A6D8C-94F4-420A-85A9-4EE072929B54.jpg71EA43BD-191A-4112-9AAA-64CE041F1CF4.jpgA0F1A621-BD24-46A8-99A4-B152E1957A97.jpg
Attaching a few photos of current pool project.
Thanks again and again to the TFP community for all of the guidance on my build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.