O/B in Gilbert, AZ for 2nd time

Mud?
It hasn't rained here in MONTHS! Oh wait, the forecast calls for up to 1/4" in the next two days. Hmm - maybe @Nikilyn should dig a pool more often - we need the rain. :poke: :laughblue:
LOL! Monday morning my husband said, have you looked at the forecast? There’s a 61% chance of rain! I think it’s only rained once since Aug and now it will rain when we have a big dirt hole in the backyard. It poured in Aug just 2 days before our son was getting married in our backyard. I guess we need to do more things so we’ll get more rain 🤪.

• Haha
Reactions: proavia
You ready for your next "job" with your pool? Run out there with a tape measure and the plans. Is it wide, deep, long, etc enough? Add about 8" for the shell and plaster. Remember you will add 8" for each side/end so a total of 16" from side to side and end to end. To make sure you are talking water depth see where the middle of the skimmer face will be. That is where you measure from the floor to it for the WATER depth!

Cleaning the spa-good question. There will be a drain in the bottom of the spa. You can brush/push any thing in the spa towards it and it should be out that way.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Nikilyn
@Nikilyn How exciting! Our pools should be built about the same time. Will be interesting to track how close or far apart our builders are. Just need the hole now but I think that will be next week. You never know about rain in Florida at this time. It could, it couldn't, it might just be scary clouds but I expect mud at some point! It is actually fascinating to see all the dirt. Surprisingly I didn't see any worms but I am not about to stick my hands in the dirt :). My dog of course kept wanting to go on the dirt so had to pull her back. Don't want that extra dirt in my house. Excited for you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Girija That would be so frustrating and there's nothing you can do about it. One of the reasons I wanted to do owner/builder was because I don't like not having control over it. When there's a delay I want to make sure I'm getting it done as quickly as possible and not have it be put on the back burner because the PB is overwhelmed. It was horrible building a house and having to live with builder rules. Unfortunately, building a custom home is way too expensive but building a custom pool is cheaper. Go figure 🤷🏻‍♀️. I hope yours gets moving soon.

Reactions: Girija and ckinchen
@Girija That would be so frustrating and there's nothing you can do about it. One of the reasons I wanted to do owner/builder was because I don't like not having control over it. When there's a delay I want to make sure I'm getting it done as quickly as possible and not have it be put on the back burner because the PB is overwhelmed. It was horrible building a house and having to live with builder rules. Unfortunately, building a custom home is way too expensive but building a custom pool is cheaper. Go figure 🤷🏻‍♀️. I hope yours gets moving soon.
Thank you. If I knew then what I know now . . . I DEFINITELY would have done an owner build!

Last edited:
I asked our next door neighbor where their skimmer is and if it’s in the right place because we don’t know which way the wind blows 😜. She showed me a pic of theirs and they are right next to each other. Isn’t the point to have them in different places or do most of you put them next to each other?

I asked our next door neighbor where their skimmer is and if it’s in the right place because we don’t know which way the wind blows 😜. She showed me a pic of theirs and they are right next to each other. Isn’t the point to have them in different places or do most of you put them next to each other?

Better to space the skimmers apart so they pull water and skim from different areas of the pool.

As Allen said, better to space them apart. While I only have one skimmer, if I was to do it again I would have two skimmers. For me that would be one on the south side and one on the north side of the pool. Living just west of you in Chandler and given the wind flows, that would work best for me. Remember, most of the summer monsoon winds come out of the south - so a skimmer on the north side somewhere would help skim the inevitable debris from those winds. It is important to consider your lot and houses around you to determine prevailing winds in the pool area and the summer monsoon winds so the skimmers can perform best.

Ask you neighbor how their skimmers work and if they have surface areas where leaves/debris collect in monsoon storms or other wind events. That will help you to determine best placement for your situation.

@proavia Great point about monsoons. We are right by the San Tans and when a dust storm comes through we are in a common path. The time I'm most worried about though is spring when our neighbor's Palo Verde, that is just on the other side of the fence, sheds those annoying yellow flowers 🙄.

Maybe ask if neighbor will remove it - possibly you can help pay for removal if they are willing to remove. That tree will continue to be a maintenance headache - for both of you. If they are unwilling, just continue to trim it at the property line. And when the flowers begin falling, go out there with your leave blower and blow on the tree towards the neighbors yard :eek: :whistle: :laughblue:.

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.