O/B in Gilbert, AZ for 2nd time

We picked the plumber and we were just having a conversation about it. He was going to leave it in just in case but asked what we wanted. I wanted opinions here first. I did ask him about the channel drain and I didn’t understand his reply. This was before figuring out he was still planning on the vacuum. He said, “honestly you are doing a vacuum so it doesnt realy make sense. thre drain is tied with the skimmer so it doesnt pull suction unless you put a diverter in the skimmer”. What does this mean?

There are many ways plumbing can be done. We don’t know what is in his mind. Ask him to draw a plumbing diagram for what he plans to do so you understand it.

I would have specified that all skimmers and vacuum lines are home run to the equipment pad. And ai don’t know where the channel drains fit into your design.

Reactions: Nikilyn
Ugh! Just found out that shotcrete is scheduling out to the end of December 😞. We were hoping to get on the schedule now but they said to let them know when we’ve passed inspection. We’re getting dug the 2nd and then plumbing, electrical, steel and gas are scheduled for the 3rd by the same company. They expect to take 2 days so hopefully inspection will be by the next Monday. By then it may be Jan. before shotcrete 😩.

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
I called one company yesterday and they told me they weren't even taking on any more owner builders at this point because they have so many jobs (over 100 booked) and when I want to string me along. 😔
Really? We got 4 bids, I think. I guess we are lucky. He said there is a concrete shortage and we’re lucky to not be building in the summer 😳.

Just got our step tile 😍. We don't even have a hole yet but I've got my bling 😁. I plan on having it in single width along the steps and benches. I plan to cut it for them so I can try to avoid as many multiple colors in a row as possible.

Attachments

• D58B8F72-6D90-434D-A1DA-9DEBE3567558.jpeg
    D58B8F72-6D90-434D-A1DA-9DEBE3567558.jpeg
    775.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 03D1B03A-C5C4-4A3A-BF45-77F611EE2191.jpeg
    03D1B03A-C5C4-4A3A-BF45-77F611EE2191.jpeg
    651.1 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: TampaKathy
SO PRETTY!!! Cut out four of them and turn them on the corner and see what you think of doing them that way. Diamonds with some space between them!

Make sure the use the plaster between them instead of grout. It will look much better!

Kim:kim:

@kimkats The sample I have is a 4x4 square. It looks good but I really want the trim. I wanted it on our last pool and the installer wouldn’t do it and I was disappointed. I had the diamonds last time so I want the strip this time.
Thanks for the tip on the plaster! I still haven’t decided what I’m getting. I wanted quartz but with a colored base, like a Quartzscapes, but I can’t find anyone here that will do it for o/b. I can get quartz in a white base but it’s not exactly what I wanted. If I want color I need to get a mini pebble but I don’t really want pebble. So do I go for the texture I want or the color? So if I get the quartz it won’t really matter if it’s grout or plaster, but if I get the pebble then it will make a huge difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have layout! Feels so good to see what it will look like in the yard. We might make our spa a foot wider so it will give a bit more leg room. He said to just let the excavator know.
Wednesday can't come soon enough 😊.

Attachments

• 6C98A235-90A7-40C3-AD37-A4A9C64097B0.jpeg
    6C98A235-90A7-40C3-AD37-A4A9C64097B0.jpeg
    656.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 9A44A37D-5DBE-400C-9776-93B89F4E1D66.jpeg
    9A44A37D-5DBE-400C-9776-93B89F4E1D66.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
OH YEAH! There it is all drawn out!

For the change I would get a different colored paint to paint over the lines you want the diggy dig to dig to be on the safe side AND have it changed on the plans! Ask to see their set of plans when they get there.

So we got delayed with the dig until Tues and then the plumber will be out later this week. When the layout guy was here my husband was talking to him about the spa jets. We are going to have 12. When we added more jets we just thought they would be spaced evenly but the guy suggested putting them in twos about 6" apart so each person would have 2 on their back. I don't really like that idea because I don't think I'd want two on my back but he does. He wanted me to ask in here what we should do 😁.

So we got delayed with the dig until Tues and then the plumber will be out later this week. When the layout guy was here my husband was talking to him about the spa jets. We are going to have 12. When we added more jets we just thought they would be spaced evenly but the guy suggested putting them in twos about 6" apart so each person would have 2 on their back. I don't really like that idea because I don't think I'd want two on my back but he does. He wanted me to ask in here what we should do 😁.
It's amazing to me how much some of these PB assert their personal opinions into design options (mine included!) I've allowed my PB to dictate certain things based on his "expertise," (for example, location of the skimmer, raised wall height, and adding an extra step on the bottom of the spa) but subsequently, I reversed those decisions because (even though in the moment I agreed with the PB's arguments) they were not what I wanted. Luckily, things are moving VERY slowly so I've been able to go back and request changes.
Regarding your jets (HOW AWESOME TO HAVE 12!!!) I, personally, would ENJOY having two on my back, BUT if that doesn't appeal to you, DON'T do it!
Do what YOU will be happy with.

It's amazing to me how much some of these PB assert their personal opinions into design options (mine included!) I've allowed my PB to dictate certain things based on his "expertise," (for example, location of the skimmer, raised wall height, and adding an extra step on the bottom of the spa) but subsequently, I reversed those decisions because (even though in the moment I agreed with the PB's arguments) they were not what I wanted. Luckily, things are moving VERY slowly so I've been able to go back and request changes.
Regarding your jets (HOW AWESOME TO HAVE 12!!!) I, personally, would ENJOY having two on my back, BUT if that doesn't appeal to you, DON'T do it!
Do what YOU will be happy with.
I don't know if I want them or not. This was just the layout guy and he was giving his opinion, which I'm glad he did.

Reactions: Girija
When you divide a pumps water flow 12 ways you can have less then satisfactory pressure out of the spa jets. Make sure you have sufficient pump capacity for what you want.

Reactions: Girija
When you divide a pumps water flow 12 ways you can have less then satisfactory pressure out of the spa jets. Make sure you have sufficient pump capacity for what you want.
We have 2 pumps. We decided, after seeing a friend’s spa, to get more jets and another pump.

We really like our JetArrays that we had installed. Our pool was just completed a few weeks ago and we can’t run the heater yet but we did brave the cold one day and get in. They have 4 vertical, smaller jets. We have 6 total in our spa on a dedicated pump and 6 standard returns (no connected to air) that run off of the pool/spa pump and provide heater and sanitation.

With our IntelliFlo XF pump on max, the pressure was too high (which was good) but now we can dial it back to whatever we want. There was a lot of different info on the gpm necessary for the JetArrays, definitely plan for 25-30gpm. Depending on the size of your spa, you could install 4 JetArrays on the dedicated spa jet pump and 4 standard spa jets with air on the pool/spa pump (you can run 6 so could also add 2 in the footwellThey could alternate along the perimeter of the spa, then whenever you are in the spa sitting next to each other, you have your single jet and he has multiple jets. If both are VS pumps, you could each have separate control on how much pressure you would like.

it would be a lot of plumbing but you were going to need 2 separate loops anyway with 2 pumps.

6E6E7B7A-B6F1-47BB-9418-3526827356B5.jpeg
17DEC454-6D79-4B39-9815-1FD387FB979E.jpeg
I’m not sure why this picture is inside down. I’ll try to get a better one today when it warms up a bit and the sun is shining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.