Nst tablet vs daily bleach question

Kinnunen3

Mar 27, 2019
South Carolina
Howdy, we are putting in a vinyl 24,000 gal pool soon so I have been planning on doing the tfp method, but I discovered nst tablets and when I plugged in the numbers to pool math. Factoring in 6 months of open pool a year adding 1lb of cal-hypo 2x per week it would take what appears to be 10+ years before I reach 1000 CH. That's not accounting for any draining during that time. Doesn't this make sense over daily bleach addition?

K,

TFP is all about you taking charge of your pool, not telling you what you must do.. As long as you are testing and know what your numbers are, whatever works for you, certainly works for us..

One thing you need to know is what the CH of your fill water is... Some places have very high fill CH, so for them, using Cal-hypo would not work well, or at least not for long.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to the forum!
Reports on the Cal Hypo tablets have indicated that the binder can create a bit of a gooey mess. Just be sure you check that and be prepared to clean it up.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

You may also want to get the Poolmath app.

I will say that my water is extremely soft, and wonder if yours might be also, since I'm five minutes from the SC/GA border?
Its possible if you're good about testing. Calcium can sometimes make water cloudy when you least expect it- so you'd have to avoid that an hour before a pool party for sure! Perhaps learn to use liquid chlorine (aka bleach) at those moments you need instant increase in Free Chlorine (FC) but no risk of cloudiness.
You can also risk building up scale on the walls of your pool as the calcium rises. Vinyl pools on the whole don't *need* any calcium (although some other eqipment such as heaters might).
Remember that water evaporation does not remove calcium. The only way to lower calcium is to drain and refill.

Have you considered a SWG? Salt water is *da bomb* for ease, silky feel to water and being able to leave the pool unattended during vacations knowing it will get its daily dose.

Maddie :flower:

Yes my plan currently is regular testing with the k2006, add the CYA I need so 4 nst tablets a week keeps me in the FC range I need. Supplementing with bleach for events that bring in excessive foreign things my FC will be used up on. Just curious why this style isn't recommended as a daily addition of bleach might be missed as we have a 2 month old baby and life is crazy right now. A SWG will most likely be going in next year if this doesn't work.

Well, the advantage to bleach is that other than a few grains of salt it doesn't add any other chemical to the pool we don't want. Calcium is a huge problem to about half the US when it comes to building up in their pools and requiring expensive drains/refills or reverse osmosis treatment. Mostly in the western states.
Trichlor and Dichlor pucks/granules add mostly unwanted stabilizer (CYA) to the pool along with the chlorine. So it too builds up to phenomenal levels and causes its own problems.

So for the least expense and trouble liquid chlorine or a SWG are about the ideal methods of pool care. One requires you to lug home jugs now and then, the other requires upfront costs. But we have discovered that over time both end up costing about the same thing so in that regard its a wash.

Homeowner testing is the basic bottom line for monitoring your pool. If you let others care for your water and pool surface you'd be surprised at what crazy things we've read about here. Never add anything to your water that you don't know the reason for and what the expected results will be. Keeping things simple is our way of life!

Maddie :flower:

If you get a lot of rain you can lower the water in the pool before and let rain fill it up. You can use some triclor tabs as well untill the cya builds up a little bit, and use bleach in between. We recommend bleach because it's a simple win, tabs are not.

Remember to figure out the csi when your ch gets high

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.