Silver Supporter
May 30, 2020
Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We were new pool owners as of April 2020 - bought a house with a 24K gallon in-ground pool and neither of us have ever had or maintained a pool before. The hubs did most of the pool maintenance and we did ok using tablets and guess strips (I know, I know). We made our way through some mechanical issues with our filter, air in our return lines, and a dead pool robot this season but managed to keep the water nice and clear. Until now.

Our water is getting cloudy - it's still clear enough to completely see the main drain but I notice a difference. So, I'm taking over pool maintenance. I've already been brushing and vacuuming and ordered an appropriate test kit. I'm fairly certain a SLAM would be in order but given we only have about a month left in our season, I'm debating if it's worth it to burn through the chemicals and testing supplies. I'm thinking I may just spend the time getting familiar with the test kit, reading the tons of articles here, and getting ready to start fresh in the Spring.

Depending how the numbers look, has anyone ever forgone the SLAM and just tried to maintain until closing?

What test kit did you get? Can you add it to your signature.

One of the first steps in winterizing a pool is to raise the FC to SLAM levels to be sure there is no algae in the pool when you close it.

Thanks for the link! I ordered the Taylor K-2006. Should be here next week. We're thinking of having a company close the pool just because I'm so nervous about getting all the water out of the lines and damaging the plumbing. I did stock up on 3 gallons of chlorinating liquid at Walmart just now since they still had some on the shelves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.