Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
All IntelliCenter Users.
The IntelliCenter Product Manager has reached out to me and is requesting some time to chat next week. I have agreed to participate.

Subject matter will involve the following:
1. A possible "online IntelliCenter users group" sponsored by Pentair so they can get a better feel for what IntelliCenter user's are typically experiencing.
2. Updates on currently reported issues and concerns.
3. Any additional issues that I would like to bring up.

I am requesting that any IntelliCenter users who would like input and to have their issues or concerns voiced, to please reply here.
I will consolidate your comments, bring them up in order of importance and be happy to voice them to the Product Manager next week.

I would assume that following three issues might be tops on the list from what I can tell by various threads/posts but l look forward to your comments to confirm if I am on target.
1. IntelliCenter Prod Server issues (intellicenter.com). Slow, clunky, unresponsive and uptime issues.
2. Inability to incorporate and control the IntelliValve via the RS-485 bus.
3. Amazon Alexa issues.

Please respond NLT COB on Wednesday 3/24/21, so that I have time to organize your comments in preparation for my online meeting with him. Please provide as much detail as you can.

I will try to tag most of the IntelliCenter users that I am aware of here that are routinely involved here with issues, etc. Please excuse me if I left anyone out. It was not my intention if I missed anyone. Just going on my aging memory and some of my PMs etc. LOL.... Anyone that I have missed and would like to contribute, please feel free.

Calling - @cr0ntab @GregSS @Spookie @dotbombjoe @rstrouse @guinness @mcqwerty @CasaBlanca @chemillion @John_and_Val @Zaffor @setsailsoon @JJ_Tex @Poolmama! @SPenfold @Turbo1Ton @SA Pentair User @rmontgomery @VirtualChris @scottts @Neoex @Charelston40 @liddown @sleeperb @CfieldFL @maggiesfan @dianedebuda @GCyr @Autom8it @kyleaa @rynoshark @drglanton @Werdnaycart

Thanks...
r.

p.s. I plan to report back here any info gained or responses to your concerns...

Last edited:
My 4 issues that I see are:

1. Downtime - The servers are frequently down, especially for the flagship automation system for a market leader with a premium price.
2. Software Updates - I'm not sure why I had to use my USB to update some of the software to the latest version, when it should be fully capable of running automatic updates.
3. Power outages resetting settings - When we were in the middle of the TX winter storm, with rolling blackouts, my system would forget my wifi network and also that the pool was included in freeze protection. I had enough to worry about and it was very frustrating running out there to mess with the intellicenter 20+ times during the blackouts before I finally gave up and turned off the system and winterized.
4. Lack of commitment from Pentair - In general, it seems like Pentair is not putting much effort into keeping the system as a market leader. A prime example is the Intellivalve, and not being able to fully use them as intended because the software is not capable of controling them with multiple stops. This should not take 3+ years to do this and shows a lack of effort and commitment to the product by Pentair. If I was Pentair, I would be worried about a 3rd party coming along and providing an automation system with more features at a lower price.

Reactions: MyAZPool
I’ve only had my IntelliCenter for a few months so I’m not very adept at maneuvering around the system but one thing that really bugs me is the fact that I cannot change schedule times from the Pentair app. I can perform most other functions from the app — like starting/stopping pumps — but I cannot change the scheduled start/stop times. Using the app I’ll adjust the start/stop times and press Save but the old start/stop times persist.

My biggest gripe is actually the wireless controller. It loses connection if left to sit for too long then it requires a reboot. The range is also now shorter than the old MobileTouch and it requires a reboot at least once a week. I don't use the mobile app or the web site for anything because njspc and dashPanel are much quicker and easier to navigate.

3. Power outages resetting settings - When we were in the middle of the TX winter storm, with rolling blackouts, my system would forget my wifi network and also that the pool was included in freeze protection. I had enough to worry about and it was very frustrating running out there to mess with the intellicenter 20+ times during the blackouts before I finally gave up and turned off the system and winterized.
4. Lack of commitment from Pentair - In general, it seems like Pentair is not putting much effort into keeping the system as a market leader. A prime example is the Intellivalve, and not being able to fully use them as intended because the software is not capable of controling them with multiple stops. This should not take 3+ years to do this and shows a lack of effort and commitment to the product by Pentair. If I was Pentair, I would be worried about a 3rd party coming along and providing an automation system with more features at a lower price.
Totally agree with these.

I have a relatively simple system & haven't progressed to remote access of my IntelliCenter yet. Guess I'll eventually try to connect to a private lan with an android tablet so I can control lights remotely. I'd prefer to use a PC, but with all of the problems that have been reported, I'll avoid using any kind of Pentair web portal. I know it's not their business model, but local control is what I want via a PC.

A really big problem to me is their terminology. IMHO their use of Circuits is NOT intuitive at all and is actually backwards to the way I see things laid out. From other posts, don't think I'm the only one that struggles with this.

My 4 issues that I see are:

1. Downtime - The servers are frequently down, especially for the flagship automation system for a market leader with a premium price.
2. Software Updates - I'm not sure why I had to use my USB to update some of the software to the latest version, when it should be fully capable of running automatic updates.
@JJ_Tex
So well said that I plan to copy/paste your comments directly in an email to the product manager prior to my online meet. Thanks for taking the time to provide some detailed info and some very valid comments. (y)
r.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
My biggest gripe is actually the wireless controller. It loses connection if left to sit for too long then it requires a reboot. The range is also now shorter than the old MobileTouch and it requires a reboot at least once a week. I don't use the mobile app or the web site for anything because njspc and dashPanel are much quicker and easier to navigate.
@rstrouse
Good point! I have seen the same issue brought up by the few others that also have the wireless controller.
Your comments will certainly be forwarded.
Like you, I also no longer use the mobile or the web-client for the very reasons that you point out. The only time I use either is when I am attempting to replicate an issue experienced by a newer user or to provide screen captures to illustrate how to setup Feature Circuits, Circuit Groups and their relationships to pump speed and valve actuators, etc...
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond!
r.

Totally agree with these.

I have a relatively simple system & haven't progressed to remote access of my IntelliCenter yet. Guess I'll eventually try to connect to a private lan with an android tablet so I can control lights remotely. I'd prefer to use a PC, but with all of the problems that have been reported, I'll avoid using any kind of Pentair web portal. I know it's not their business model, but local control is what I want via a PC.

A really big problem to me is their terminology. IMHO their use of Circuits is NOT intuitive at all and is actually backwards to the way I see things laid out. From other posts, don't think I'm the only one that struggles with this.
@dianedebuda
Thanks! Understand completely.
Your comments will be forwarded and thanks again!
r.

Wow this is awesome, thanks.

I think my big ones are listed, but I'll see if I can think of some tomorrow.

For sure the biggest headache for me is the mobile/web interface. It's a piece of junk.

Minor nit, I would love to be able to hover over the historical graphs and get the values for each metric.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Logically reorder the items in a menu so the most used items are at the top (for example, Advanced System Configuration should at or near the top) and the least used items at the bottom.

Enable direct selection of a much greater number of colors that Pentair lights (MicroBrite in particular) are capable of displaying.

Just thought about this and is this just for software? if so don't warry about below :)

********* this morning at 0530*******************
I have been on TFP for over 8 years and the #1 reasons behind me not getting Pentair are:

Warranty, 30 days with DIY, I do not want to pay someone 50 to 100% more for a product to do something that I can easily do myself.. If the prices were set and the install was the same price I would pay to have it done but when I can pay 50% less online and install it is not worth the extra cost.

Then I hear from customers every day here asking how to get there system working because the install company set it up wrong or did not use the correct equipment...

Look at Pentair warranties in all:

30 days DIY install
2 year with 1 or 2 products
3 year with over 3

This tells me that Pentair does not stand behind there product because it will break after 2 years... If they do not have confidence in there own product why would I....

Take Circupool, they have 5 to 8 year warranty with a company install or DIY, they stand behind there product.. I know it will work for at least 8 years or it gets replaced...

Last edited:
Wow this is awesome, thanks.

I think my big ones are listed, but I'll see if I can think of some tomorrow.

For sure the biggest headache for me is the mobile/web interface. It's a piece of junk.

Minor nit, I would love to be able to hover over the historical graphs and get the values for each metric.
@cr0ntab
Thanks...
Agreed and noted for discussion with Pentair.
r.

Just thought about this and is this just for software? if so don't warry about below :)

********* this morning at 0530*******************
I have been on TFP for over 8 years and the #1 reasons behind me not getting Pentair are:

Warranty, 30 days with DIY, I do not want to pay someone 50 to 100% more for a product to do something that I can easily do myself.. If the prices were set and the install was the same price I would pay to have it done but when I can pay 50% less online and install it is not worth the extra cost.

Then I hear from customers every day here asking how to get there system working because the install company set it up wrong or did not use the correct equipment...

Look at Pentair warranties in all:

30 days DIY install
2 year with 1 or 2 products
3 year with over 3

This tells me that Pentair does not stand behind there product because it will break after 2 years... If they do not have confidence in there own product why would I....

Take Circupool, they have 5 to 8 year warranty with a company install or DIY, they stand behind there product.. I know it will work for at least 8 years or it gets replaced...
@cowboycasey
Mostly for software but your points regarding Pentair's warranties are certainly valid and well taken.
Pentair certainly has a training issue when it comes to "authorized installers."
I will try to include some of your points.
Thanks much!!
r.
EDIT. I think many of the installation issues could be avoided if they would contract with a "competent" contractor to develop and publish some adequate documentation. Pentair documentation is the worst in my opinion.

Reactions: cowboycasey
JJ_Tex hit on the biggest ones I had, with losing the freeze protection setting being the biggest one that I've experienced. I have occasionally hit up against the servers being down, but I would say that is less than 5% of the time. I am hardwired Ethernet so I don't have the wireless issues. The lack of commitment is a big one. I know the RS 485 Intellivalve communication was a big point that I was really excited about. I'm more excited for someone to hack it at this point so that something will actually get done with it.

Ability to backup a config file from the web client. Why do I have to take a USB stick out to the LCP? And at that, I haven't been able to get it to backup! I need to try again, now that I bring that up.

To add to Casey's point, my PB offered me a job (probably jokingly, but really kinda probably not). They told my wife that they were pretty sure I knew more about the system than they did. There should be no reason that the warranty shouldn't be similar for DIY install or PB install. It is easy to see when installation issues were the cause of a problem.

One thing I could see being beneficial is being able to prioritize a feature over another when 2 or more are selected. Right now the higher pump speed is the driver, so you have to program your features/circuits accordingly. It would be nice if I could just select a checkbox in a feature that would make it a priority over any others that were selected. There was a thread on here recently where someone was trying to get his pool circuit (set @ 2000RPM, IIRC), to be ignored when he turned on some other, lower RPM circuit. That is one instance where that might be beneficial. Not sure if it is a major deal, but thought I'd throw that out there.

I've noticed that the way the system is set up, the Pool circuit is not a 'parent' circuit, meaning that I can turn off the pool circuit, but if another feature using that pump is selected, then the pump does not turn off. Intuitively, for me anyway, if I turn off the Pool circuit, I expect the system to fully shut down, regardless of what else is running. That may be a matter of opinion, and now that I know about it, I know what to look for when it doesn't turn off.

One more thing, and I'll go away... I have my pool scheduled to run from 0800 through to 0759. This will allow it to run 23 hours and 59 minutes per day. But when I hit 0759 and the pool circuit turns off, it also kills my water features pump. I have not looked into the programming on that one but seems odd that if I have something turned on, that is completely unrelated to the pump/circuit scheduled, it turns it off.

The last two are minor items and may be more of me just nit picking now, but if you're making a list... :mrgreen:

If I come up with anything else over the next day or two, I'll post it up.

--Jeff

JJ_Tex hit on the biggest ones I had, with losing the freeze protection setting being the biggest one that I've experienced. I have occasionally hit up against the servers being down, but I would say that is less than 5% of the time. I am hardwired Ethernet so I don't have the wireless issues. The lack of commitment is a big one. I know the RS 485 Intellivalve communication was a big point that I was really excited about. I'm more excited for someone to hack it at this point so that something will actually get done with it.

Ability to backup a config file from the web client. Why do I have to take a USB stick out to the LCP? And at that, I haven't been able to get it to backup! I need to try again, now that I bring that up.

To add to Casey's point, my PB offered me a job (probably jokingly, but really kinda probably not). They told my wife that they were pretty sure I knew more about the system than they did. There should be no reason that the warranty shouldn't be similar for DIY install or PB install. It is easy to see when installation issues were the cause of a problem.

One thing I could see being beneficial is being able to prioritize a feature over another when 2 or more are selected. Right now the higher pump speed is the driver, so you have to program your features/circuits accordingly. It would be nice if I could just select a checkbox in a feature that would make it a priority over any others that were selected. There was a thread on here recently where someone was trying to get his pool circuit (set @ 2000RPM, IIRC), to be ignored when he turned on some other, lower RPM circuit. That is one instance where that might be beneficial. Not sure if it is a major deal, but thought I'd throw that out there.

I've noticed that the way the system is set up, the Pool circuit is not a 'parent' circuit, meaning that I can turn off the pool circuit, but if another feature using that pump is selected, then the pump does not turn off. Intuitively, for me anyway, if I turn off the Pool circuit, I expect the system to fully shut down, regardless of what else is running. That may be a matter of opinion, and now that I know about it, I know what to look for when it doesn't turn off.

One more thing, and I'll go away... I have my pool scheduled to run from 0800 through to 0759. This will allow it to run 23 hours and 59 minutes per day. But when I hit 0759 and the pool circuit turns off, it also kills my water features pump. I have not looked into the programming on that one but seems odd that if I have something turned on, that is completely unrelated to the pump/circuit scheduled, it turns it off.

The last two are minor items and may be more of me just nit picking now, but if you're making a list... :mrgreen:

If I come up with anything else over the next day or two, I'll post it up.

--Jeff
Perfect. Many thanks Jeff!!
r.

Schedules:

-Ability to Start a program manually
-ability to stop, pause, resume a program that is currently running
@Kajung2k
That is true. They will probably just tell us to do, what I actually do as a "work-around". To just manually turn off the Feature Circuit or Circuit Group that the program (schedule) is running and then turn it back on.
Agreed, that feature would be nice. Especially when a schedule is running and you want to "pause it" for a few minutes in order to perform some sort of maintenance like emptying the pump bowl basket or back-washing the filter etc.
I'll note it but don't hold your breath on it. ;) I doubt they will give us a "nicety" feature like that when they can't even fix some of the really major issues (prod servers, intelliValve comms, wireless issues, freeze protection issues, etc. etc).
Thanks much!
r.

Reactions: Kajung2k

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.