Not sure what to do next? Do I need to SLAM?

Cbarber623

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2020
Lexington, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
First season with pool, things have been going pretty smooth so far. About a month ago, I started seeing some green forming in corners and on stairs. I would also finish the evening nice and clean and in the mornings notice patches of what I thought was dirt, kind of yellowish/brown in color, on the floor. I would brush them or put robot in and clean it up, but this has progressively been more and more, no matter how much I clean. I realized, through help on here, that my FC level of 3ppm was low and I should be at minimum of 5 with my CYA level. I upped my SWCG to 13.8 hrs @80% and started raising chlorine. I also added some bleach to raise it more quickly. I have been at 5ppm since this.

I have also been trying to raise the CYA from 60 to 70. Pool Math says around 2 lbs. I put 2lbs in 6 days ago, but forgot to run the pump all night. The next day and again 2 days ago, it was still at 60. I thought maybe I wasted it not running the pump. I only had 1.5 lbs left so I put that in 2 days ago. I ran the pump all night. I'm using dry stabilizer I got off Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J7L47HA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I'm putting it in hose and adding to skimmer.

My pump ran all night last night as well, by mistake, so pump has been running for almost 48hrs now. I tested this morning, FC is 9ppm, CYA is still at 60.

#1 How do I stop this build up on the floor?

#2 Why is CYA not going up?

IMG_0903.jpgIMG_0902.jpg

You need to follow the SLAM Process.

The CYA you have been adding to the skimmer (that is not a TFP endorsed method) is trapped in your sand filter. Have you backwashed the filter after you added the CYA? If so, a certain amount of it was sent to waste.

Test your CYA and follow the SLAM Process

If ever in doubt about slamming, perform an OCLT. When already green, slam away, the sooner the better.
You don’t want to raise CYA just before a slam anyway, wait until it is over.
I assume you are running pump extra for the CYA additions, but just in case you didn’t know, the pump and filter do not kill algae.
Good luck on the slam! 😀

I would keep in mind that 3.5lbs of CYA was added which puts the pool at 80ppm CYA if the filter was not back washed. The SLAM FC would have to be kept at 31ppm.
Perhaps it is a good idea to backwash the filter now, waste the stabilizer, but at least the SLAM level will require less chlorine.

You need to follow the SLAM Process.

The CYA you have been adding to the skimmer (that is not a TFP endorsed method) is trapped in your sand filter. Have you backwashed the filter after you added the CYA? If so, a certain amount of it was sent to waste.

Test your CYA and follow the SLAM Process
What is the recommended method for adding CYA? I read putting it in a sock and putting in skimmer was the endorsed method.

I have backwashed since the 2 lbs was added. I have not since adding the 1.5 lbs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.