lovethatgrey

Jul 8, 2023
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, We just had our Pebble Tec plaster done today. The crew arrived this morning at 6:30 am and was finished by noon. I noticed as the plaster was staring to dry that there was an area that didn't seem to want to dry. I noticed the spot at 1:30 and it is still there and it is 10:50pm. There was no sign of leak in the gunite before the plaster was installed. I'm truly baffled and hoping someone has an explanation. Of course I will be speaking to my PM on Monday about this. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1547.jpeg
    IMG_1547.jpeg
    724.5 KB · Views: 40
Interesting. :scratch: Can you tell us if it's still that way this morning? Is the contractor coming back anytime soon, or did they give you instructions on when to start filling?
Hi. Yes still there - almost 24 hours. Hasn't gotten worse, hasn't gotten better just there. Plaster crew coming back tomorrow (Monday) to acid wash and then fill.

Grey,

That spot appears to be the normal weeping of ground water into the pool when it is empty. Obviously not much, if you did not notice it, just enough to make the gunite a little wet. It is not something the plaster guys did wrong.

I think it will fade over time after they add water.

Not much you can do about it, one way or the other. Either you plaster over it, or you don't plaster at all..

In my case it took about three months of work to remove the ground water before they would plaster my pool, but my weeping was very bad, not at all like yours.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Grey,

That spot appears to be the normal weeping of ground water into the pool when it is empty. Obviously not much, if you did not notice it, just enough to make the gunite a little wet. It is not something the plaster guys did wrong.

I think it will fade over time after they add water.

Not much you can do about it, one way or the other. Either you plaster over it, or you don't plaster at all..

In my case it took about three months of work to remove the ground water before they would plaster my pool, but my weeping was very bad, not at all like yours.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim. I hope you are right. I will speak with my PM today. He needs to take me seriously and not skim over this. I don't want issues down the road. Thanks for your help.

Ona side note, what is the mark just to the right of the are in question?
I didn't
Ona side note, what is the mark just to the right of the are in question?
Hi AQUA-HOLICS I got down in the pool and took a closer look. You are referring to a quarter in diameter size piece of plaster missing which does not appear to be leaking. But i think i found the culprit. Looks like a small crack in the plaster which is exactly where the water appears to be coming from. Tomorrow these and any other items the detail crew will address when they acid wash and detail. From what i understand more areas need attention after the pressure wash and acid wash.

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    772.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1622.jpeg
    IMG_1622.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 8
Just had a look and the wet spot and it seems to be getting smaller. (See pictures that were taken last night and just a few minutes ago) Yay!!! Last night we shut our irrigation system off at the water source to rule out an irrigation leak. So maybe as jimrahbe said that it was ground water entering the pool. Was such a small amount of rain (less than 1/4") to have found it's way under the paving and all the way down to that spot. I'm thankful the wet spot appears to be getting smaller. The detail crew will just have to fix what looks like a crack.

My other concern is three hours after the plaster was installed we had continuous light rain. Could this cause any damage to the plaster?

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpeg
    IMG_1568.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1623.jpeg
    IMG_1623.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi AQUA-HOLICS I got down in the pool and took a closer look. You are referring to a quarter in diameter size piece of plaster missing which does not appear to be leaking. But i think i found the culprit. Looks like a small crack in the plaster which is exactly where the water appears to be coming from. Tomorrow these and any other items the detail crew will address when they acid wash and detail. From what i understand more areas need attention after the pressure wash and acid wash.
Hi AQUA-HOLICS I am not believing this. I think my pool is messing with me. I thought I figured out what was going on but I'm at a loss again. Took these two pictures within a half hour of each other and it looks like it is getting wetter. It never dried out completely but continued to dry throughout the day until just now. . Why would it dry out and continue to dry out only to start getting wet again. So frustrated!

Attachments

• IMG_1633.jpeg
    IMG_1633.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1634.jpeg
    IMG_1634.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
The pool shell has water behind it and is able to make its way to the plaster surface through the shotcrete.
This normally takes place around the plumbing lines that extend through the shell, if water can leach out now with the pool being empty it may leach water in the other direction once filled. Having a crack in the finished plaster is a concern to me in regards to the quality of the application, also the quarter size missing plaster, did that just appear or did the crew finish the job knowing it was there? Either way, the water leaching is a serious issue in my opinion, I will provide pictures of a pool I was called out to give an opinion on IMG_4440.jpgfor that exact issue.

The pool shell has water behind it and is able to make its way to the plaster surface through the shotcrete.
This normally takes place around the plumbing lines that extend through the shell, if water can leach out now with the pool being empty it may leach water in the other direction once filled. Having a crack in the finished plaster is a concern to me in regards to the quality of the application, also the quarter size missing plaster, did that just appear or did the crew finish the job knowing it was there? Either way, the water leaching is a serious issue in my opinion, I will provide pictures of a pool I was called out to give an opinion on View attachment 530815for that exact issue.
Hard to tell exactly when the missing piece of plaster happened. I discovered it this morning (plaster was installed Saturday).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.