Not happy with spa jet pressure

offshorebound

Bronze Supporter
May 23, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
Hello all,
I'm just finishing up a new construction pool/spa and am not happy with the pressure from the spa jets. I have discussed this with my builder and it seems he has no ideas on how to increase the pressure. I have the 3hp intelliflo pump, 6 jets, the plumbing to the spa is 2" and the plumbing run from equipment pad to spa is about 70 feet. The spa is a venturi design with no spa blower. I run the pump at 3250rpm when in use and the filter is clean so these are not an issue. My idea is to put in a bypass between the pump and filter. Would this increase pressure since there would be less head loss not having to go through the filter? Not sure if this would work. Any other ideas on what could be done to increase the pressure?

pad.JPG

I have the same pump, with 6 jets and a similar length from the pad and have no issues with spa pressure and normally run my spa about 2500 rpms. A couple of ideas:

- Can you turn off individual jets? Mine turn and you can turn them off individually.
- Are you sure the actuators completely block the pool returns when in spa mode?
- Does your filter pressure change drastically between pool mode and spa mode at the same RPMs?

- Can you turn off individual jets? Mine turn and you can turn them off individually.
This does not help. Turning off 4 jets and only having two jets does not increase pressure

- Are you sure the actuators completely block the pool returns when in spa mode?
Don't know how to check this

- Does your filter pressure change drastically between pool mode and spa mode at the same RPMs?
NO

Don't know how to check this

When you are in spa mode, check and make sure you do not have water coming out of the pool returns, bubblers or anything else. If it is, you may have to adjust the actuator so it is only sending water to the spa. By the pictures it looks to be set correctly, but the sure way to tell is to stick your hand in front of a pool return.

Are you seeing bubbles when the jets are on?

Are you running the VS at full speed?

What is the filter pressure when the spa jets are running?

A bypass (both filter and heater(s)) might a help a little but 2" pipe is much too small for a 6 jet spa. The PB should have used at least 2.5" for 70', maybe larger.

Do you know the size of the jet nozzle (not eyeball)? Should be 7/16", 3/8" or 1/4". Depending on the venturi tee model, sometimes you can reduce the size of the jet nozzle to increase the velocity of the jet water so the jets feel stronger.

When you are in spa mode, check and make sure you do not have water coming out of the pool returns, bubblers or anything else. If it is, you may have to adjust the actuator so it is only sending water to the spa. By the pictures it looks to be set correctly, but the sure way to tell is to stick your hand in front of a pool return.
No water was coming out pool returns or bubblers.

-Are you seeing bubbles when the jets are on?
Yes, but i don't feel it has enough force.

-Are you running the VS at full speed?
I was running 3450rpm but a rep from pentair said not to run it that high due to my filter size

-What is the filter pressure when the spa jets are running?
At 3450rpm over 30 psi (thats why pentair said to run it lower)

-Do you know the size of the jet nozzle (not eyeball)? Should be 7/16", 3/8" or 1/4". Depending on the venturi tee model, sometimes you can reduce the size of the jet nozzle to increase the velocity of the jet water so the jets feel stronger.
I believe its 1.5"

No that is the pipe size. The nozzle is deep within the spa wall. Ask the PB what size venturi jet tee nozzle he used?

1607100805312.png

The nozzle sits right below the air pipe feed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Air is about 800x less dense than water so it does not add any force. However, air does break up the water stream for a massaging effect. But as long as there are bubbles coming out of the jets, the blower would not make a difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.