Not closing for Winter - CYA Question

Btrimble

May 24, 2021
Northern California
Hi,
I'm in Northern California. I have a gunite pool/spa. We're not closing the pool for the winter because we still use the spa. My readings are
FC: 3.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA: 60
CH: 420
CYA: 30
Temp: 55 degrees

It's only November and it's been raining off and on for a couple of weeks. I'm hoping that we'll be getting more all winter. I'm assuming that my CYA will keep going down. I currently use liquid chlorine but I do have some trichlor tabs. Should I put the tabs in the chlorinator for a few weeks to keep my CYA from going any lower? Does it matter what my CYA is if we're not using the pool? This is our first year. While I don't want to spend money that I don't have to, I'd rather not have my pool go green. I think it's probably easier to maintain it than to try to revive it for Spring. The only cover we have for it is the solar bubble wrap cover. We're not using it because I don't want to risk one of my dogs thinking they can walk on it.

I bought some Taylor DPD Powder from Amazon. The response to a question about the expiration dates was that it would be at least 1-2 years. I just got it and it expires in April of next year. I know I won't use it up by then. Approximately how much longer after the expiration date, if stored in the house, would it last? It's really not worth the hassle to return it.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your help.

Yes, be sure to keep at least a CYA of 30. If you want to use a few tabs now that's fine. A CYA of 40 won't hurt either. Just be sure to not let the FC fall below the recommended level as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. As for the powder, yes, we've heard that before from other vendors online. They sneak their old batch in on you and you never know until you receive it. If you keep it in a cool dry place, it should get you through next season.

Reactions: Btrimble
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.