NorthStar SP4010X15NS - Replacement Options

highlt

May 4, 2008
I have been running a NorthStar 1.5 HP pump which supposed outputs same amount of power as 2 HP for the past 16 years and the bearings are going bad. I have a 20x48 inground pool which holds about 40,000 gallons of water. The pool is also plumbed with 2 inch pvc resulting in a flow rate of 80 gpm. I currently run the pump on a timer for 9 hours a day to turn the pool over. It's been a great pump with minimal issues for 16 years but I'd like to buy a more energy efficient pump. I have been considering VS pumps. Any opinions on a good VS pump for my pool and have folks really seen a savings in energy? Are the electronics problematic? Should I keep it simple and replace my 16 year old NorthStar pump or bite the bullit and upgrade to VS pump to save money?

I have been running a NorthStar 1.5 HP pump which supposed outputs same amount of power as 2 HP for the past 16 years and the bearings are going bad. I have a 20x48 inground pool which holds about 40,000 gallons of water. The pool is also plumbed with 2 inch pvc resulting in a flow rate of 80 gpm. I currently run the pump on a timer for 9 hours a day to turn the pool over. It's been a great pump with minimal issues for 16 years but I'd like to buy a more energy efficient pump. I have been considering VS pumps. Any opinions on a good VS pump for my pool and have folks really seen a savings in energy? Are the electronics problematic? Should I keep it simple and replace my 16 year old NorthStar pump or bite the bullit and upgrade to VS pump to save money?
Savings, if the pump is used correctly, will pay for the pump. How fast depends on what you pay for energy now. In PG&E country it can be in less than 2 years while getting the other benefits of a VSP.
In the US, while you can still find some, single-speed pumps have been illegal since July, 2021 to manufacture. Old stock could be sold, but why?
If you live in California, no one will ship a single-speed pump here.
Again, depending on your energy rate, you might be able to run a low speed that does everything you need for $25-$30/month.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at the Hayward Tristar 900 and 950. I'm not sure if the 900 will serve my 40,000 gallon pool or I should go with the 950. Any tips on knowing which to go with?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at the Hayward Tristar 900 and 950. I'm not sure if the 900 will serve my 40,000 gallon pool or I should go with the 950. Any tips on knowing which to go with?
As the saying says, "Go big or go home!" Get the 950. You want to get a larger, by total horsepower, pump and run it slower. The 950 will move the same amount of water as the 900, but at a lower RPM, and if needed, more at the full RPM (depending on your plumbing), which would seldom if ever be needed. I have the original version of the 950, the EcoStar. Wouldn't be without it.

So you feel going variable speed is better than attempting to repair my NorthStar? If I replace pump motor and seals I will be out $475. I'm contemplating on replacing the seals and motor in the NorthStar. I see a small leak and believe a seal let water into the bearings. The 950 will set me back $2800 with install for warranty 4 year warranty. That's a huge amount but I am willing to pay if it will truly last as long as the NorthStar and be trouble free. Considering the North Star has ran 16 years trouble free with one capacitor replaced, it's tough to consider $2800 and have electronics that can break. The electronics are my fear. Your input is appreciated.

So you feel going variable speed is better than attempting to repair my NorthStar? If I replace pump motor and seals I will be out $475. I'm contemplating on replacing the seals and motor in the NorthStar. I see a small leak and believe a seal let water into the bearings. The 950 will set me back $2800 with install for warranty 4 year warranty. That's a huge amount but I am willing to pay if it will truly last as long as the NorthStar and be trouble free. Considering the North Star has ran 16 years trouble free with one capacitor replaced, it's tough to consider $2800 and have electronics that can break. The electronics are my fear. Your input is appreciated.
The fact that you got 16 years from a NorthStar is amazing. They were only made for about 9 years then Hayward discontinued them about 17 years ago in favor of the TriStar. Un-officially it was because they had so many complaints (got that from the local rep). I gave up working on them years ago as I could not guarantee my work would last. Biggest issue, most needed repair? Seal leak and damaged motor because of it every time. I couldn't get them to stop leaking after the repair, ever.

If you do the work yourself, it will cost far less than $2800.00. Get the Leslie's Pool Jacuzzi-labeled JVS270S. Same pump, different color and label (Hayward has made pumps for Leslie's for at least 30 years). $1599.99 according to their website. Same pump with the original Hayward label and color, $1999.99. Go figure. When Jacuzzi actually made pumps, I would never use another after installing two. But these are absolutely Haywards in disguise.

Reactions: jonpcar
The fact that you got 16 years from a NorthStar is amazing. They were only made for about 9 years then Hayward discontinued them about 17 years ago in favor of the TriStar. Un-officially it was because they had so many complaints (got that from the local rep). I gave up working on them years ago as I could not guarantee my work would last. Biggest issue, most needed repair? Seal leak and damaged motor because of it every time. I couldn't get them to stop leaking after the repair, ever.

If you do the work yourself, it will cost far less than $2800.00. Get the Leslie's Pool Jacuzzi-labeled JVS270S. Same pump, different color and label (Hayward has made pumps for Leslie's for at least 30 years). $1599.99 according to their website. Same pump with the original Hayward label and color, $1999.99. Go figure. When Jacuzzi actually made pumps, I would never use another after installing two. But these are absolutely Haywards in disguise.
Thanks

If you do the work yourself, it will cost far less than $2800.00. Get the Leslie's Pool Jacuzzi-labeled JVS270S. Same pump, different color and label (Hayward has made pumps for Leslie's for at least 30 years). $1599.99 according to their website. Same pump with the original Hayward label and color, $1999.99.
To clarify…the JVS270S is the same pump as the Hayward Tristar 950 (2.7hp)? Great to know…I dont want to jinx my current pump but I expect it might be on its last legs. So, this Leslie’s pump would be an ‘exact fit’ replacement for an EcoStar? Thanks!