Northeastern Heat Pump Help

Patrickoleary

Apr 7, 2019
Greensburg,PA
Hi all,

I was hoping I would be able to install a 400k gas heater being that I live in Pittsburgh. The limitation is going to be my gas line, and running a new dedicated line isn't going to be practical or cost effective. I may be able to do a 250k gas heater. Not sure yet.

That aside, I was also looking at the 140k Hayward Summit XL (same as HeatPro). Anyone in the northeast (PA, NY, NJ, etc.) have experience with a heat pump they can describe? Obviously gas is going to be consistent and heat faster. Based on my utilities prices and assuming ideal temperature for the heat pump, the heat pump has a significant cost advantage on paper. However, I was more curious what your thoughts are on real world usage. The main concern we have is whether a heat pump is going to work in May and October. The heat pump we have now is small (~70k BTU) and when we ran it last year, it barely moved the needle on temperature. For example, air temp was 70, water was 76, running heat pump couldn't get it past 78 even when running 24 hours. It is probably 10-12 years old and I assume on its last legs. Last summer was our first with a pool. I don't mind if it has to run longer to heat, but I want it to actually heat. The numbers all say it can on paper, but looking for real world experience.

Thanks.

What temperature do you want to heat the pool to?

Do you have a cover for the pool? It will make a big difference.

The Heat Pump Calculator says...

2020-04-07_1203.png

The calculator agrees with your experience that a 70K BTU HP will not get the pool past 78 degrees in May and October. So I think your old HP is operating fine for its size.

2020-04-07_1208.png

Attachments

• 2020-04-07_1208.png
    2020-04-07_1208.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 3

View attachment 131769

The calculator agrees with your experience that a 70K BTU HP will not get the pool past 78 degrees in May and October. So I think your old HP is operating fine for its size.

View attachment 131771
Thanks! I never saw the heat pump calculator before. I’ll check it out.

Unfortunately I don’t have a cover. If I were home all the time, I would but my wife doesn’t want to deal with it. I did buy some of the circular solar discs to try this year, as well as the liquid evaporation preventer. The discs will hopefully be more manageable for her to deal with if I’m not there. Though not a perfect solution.

View attachment 131769

View attachment 131771
This calculator is fantastic. Thanks for pointing it out. I entered my own cost for utilities and other variables. Worked like a charm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.