North Eastern Ohio pool opening

mrramsey

Jul 19, 2014
Hudson Ohio
I think I am going to open the pool next weekend. The last time I looked under the cover before the ice set in the water was crystal clear. I probably need to add a thousand gallons to the pool. I had tried one of the skimmer covers so as not to have to drain it down but when ice set in the thing kept leaking so I drained below the skimmer anyways. Oh well I won't try that again.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for during the opening?

Should I bother testing the water before I refill it or just do it after?

I need to replace the eyeball insert for the return totally screwed that up removing it when I closed the pool in the fall. I am also thinking of hard plumbing the lines this season.

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
If you are chlorinating with pucks then you might want to test your CYA to make sure it isn't too high before filling.

mrramsey

Jul 19, 2014
Hudson Ohio
If you are chlorinating with pucks then you might want to test your CYA to make sure it isn't too high before filling.
thanks pooldv, I do use tablets in an external chlorinator but did monitor CYA regularly last season. I took a hybrid approach using the tablets to maintain and adjusted the chlorine levels with bleach. So far that approach seemed to work pretty well and I only ran the pool 3x per day for 3 hours each cycle.

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
Aacckkkk! Somebody spammed your post! :)

Sounds like you have everything under control and are ready to go. Send us a pic of your swamp bellyflop. :)