Normal salt concentration in non-SWCG pool?

BowserB

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Katy, Texas
Hi guys. I've had a lot of help here with my decision to get a SWCG. While waiting for a quote, I got the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit, just to get an idea how much salt I'll be adding. For reference purposes, the pool was first filled 9/30/18. For a short time, I used trichlor tabs to chlorinate, then switched to liquid chlorine. When CYA was low last spring, I used the tabs again until the CYA was back to 40, and then I resumed liquid chlorine. So I did a test for my starting salt level, and it came back--twice with samples from different areas of the pool--with 1200 ppm. Fully a third of the way, I think, to the level I would be using with the SWCG.

Side story. I often take a water sample to my nearby Leslies, after doing my own tests with the TF100 kit, partly as a second opinion and partly to gauge how much confidence I could have in them if I ran out of TF100 reagents or wanted to suggest to my neighbor an alternative to his test strips (he'll never go to the trouble of a full TF100 or Taylor kit.) One result Leslie gives that I don't get from the TF100 is Total Dissolved Solids. When I've asked what that is, I'm told that since I use just liquid chlorine, the TDS is likely salt. Coincidentally, last week Leslies told me my TDS was 1200.

Does 1200ppm seem reasonable for a non-SWCG pool? Both Taylor and Leslies seem to think so.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
A salinity of 1200 ppm is possible. But the TDS would be higher, as it would also include CH and CYA.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Liquid chlorine contains salt. For every 3 ppm of FC you add 5 ppm of salt which accumulates when you use liquid chlorine. A LC pool becomes a salt pool if there is not a reason to occasionally drain it.

pjt

Gold Supporter
Jan 7, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Using liquid chlorine, my salt level built up to 5,000 over the course of a few years. Just did a partial drain & refill to lower the salt to 3,000. Probably going to install a SWG since I already have enough salt in my water to operate one.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.