Normal or Abnormal Evaporation

May 18, 2018
Cross Lanes, WV
Hello. Haven't posted in a while. Can't remember if my pool is in my signature or profile. Anyway, I have a 24ft round above ground pool, 14, 600 gallons. For the last several hot days, it's everything I can do to keep the water level above the bottom of the skimmer. I mean, I was adding water to the middle of the skimmer, and it'd still be near the bottom. Yesterday, I added water to nearly the top of the skimmer, and it's back down near the bottom again. It has been hot. It's usually muggy in central WV. Today though, the humidity is only 49%, although it is 92, and feels like 99. Should I be having to add 4-6 inches of water daily? Thoughts?

You say the last several hot days, does that mean when it’s not hot you don’t have to add? Or have there not been any cooler days in between adding? Just my personal experience, I only have to add 2 or so inches a week and that was during a slam with backwash once or twice a day. Have you checked for a leak anywhere? There’s a “bucket test” you can perform to determine if it’s a leak. Type in bucket test for evaporation in the search bar and should pull up some threads and hopefully guide you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Should I be having to add 4-6 inches of water daily?
Absolutely not. You have a leak. You can do a bucket test if you like but I promise you that is a leak.

Since that is an AG pool, there should be a rather significant wet spot somewhere. I did some quick math (I think it's right) and you are losing over a thousand gallons daily.

Just for comparison, temps here have been 90, I have not covered in a couple weeks, humidity in the 70's %, maybe lose 1/4" a day, no shade on water at all and we are in the windiest location for our county, highest elevation. Should be easy to find the problem area, plumbing or liner. See how far it drifts down if you can not find leak on floor, wherever it stops to leak height wise, that is the location around that circumfrence. I lost about that much water 4 years ago in a day, right at the spring thaw, had a seam separation , very obvious.

Last edited:
You have a leak somewhere. I live in central California and the temps here are 100+, 10-20% humidity with a slight breeze. Pool has sun on it from sun up to sundown and I will lose 2 inches at most in 4 days. I lose way less when the solar cover is installed each night. You have a huge water loss which is a solid indicator of a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.