Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,
I noticed some separating from the original form, and topside cracking? On our new gunite.
I can see the little dots formed into the gunite, which are from the original backing that has somehow separated and/or gunite has caved in?
Our PM said it was normal. But I don't like how it looks and don't understand why that would be normal.

So...... Is it? Or is it not?
Am I just being a paranoid new pool mom? ?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190920-105511.png
    Screenshot_20190920-105511.png
    1 MB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20190920-105504.png
    Screenshot_20190920-105504.png
    575.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20190920-105444.png
    Screenshot_20190920-105444.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20190920-105455.png
    Screenshot_20190920-105455.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
Agreed that it is hard to tell from the pictures. I can see the gunite on the right side of the pics, is the left just sand and is it flush to the top of the gunite?

On the dots the pattern looks familiar. Were your forms peg board by chance?

The forms were peg board looking.
As for size.. since I am not there at present to take a photo and they are doing tile and coping today :oops: ; they are probably anywhere from 6" to a foot long, all on outer edges.

The sand is basically flush with the gunite from "rough grade". There was one part where they didn't fill in the gunite to the very top of the boards in a small area.. just not being detail oriented I guess (again, PM said it was normal) and the rest of the stuff for tile/coping/plaster will fill it in.

The left of the cracking or separating on 3 photos is sand. The right on one, is sand, because that is on a curve on the other side if that makes sense.
The cracking or separating is all on the outside edges of the form, where the form boards meet the gunite.
One was there from the get-go, but I've noticed the others showing up more recently.. or I am just noticing them now.
I will try and snap a better photo as I have to run by there anyhow.

Last edited:
If this helps; on the pic below... the left side is all sand, then as it meets the gunite you can see pieces of brown peg board stuff where it's pulled away. Now, this has gotten quite wet while I am watering the gunite, so that likely is from that swelling and breaking off at the top. But you can see where the gunite is also cracking off on the left where the boards meet the gunite; this is all on the outside edge.

(I cannot draw/write with a mouse but this is the best I could do quickly.. lol)

Attachments

• InkedScreenshot_20190920-105455_LI.jpg
    InkedScreenshot_20190920-105455_LI.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 69
If this helps; on the pic below... the left side is all sand, then as it meets the gunite you can see pieces of brown peg board stuff where it's pulled away. Now, this has gotten quite wet while I am watering the gunite, so that likely is from that swelling and breaking off at the top. But you can see where the gunite is also cracking off on the left where the boards meet the gunite; this is all on the outside edge.

(I cannot draw/write with a mouse but this is the best I could do quickly.. lol)

This looks like the outside of the gunite and not the interior. If so it is definitely not a problem.

Good to know.
I am a bit of a perfectionist..... and have no idea how any of this works. ?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When the form is a little low and the gunite is higher it doesn't pack tight and its weaker and thinner on the back edge. Kinda normal and as long as they remove the loose stuff and dint cover it with mud doint the coping its no issue. I don't like to see bits and pieces left behind

jimmythegreek- I have no idea if they left it behind. They laid out the coping today but didn't adhere it. I will check in the morning... hopefully before they return!

What would happen if they didn't remove it and/or covered it with mud during coping?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.