seanauld

Aug 4, 2021
halifax, nova scotia, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good Day Folks, apologies if this has already been asked/answered but I searched and did not find.

I have a 430 gallon hot tub, dichlor/bleach now, liquid chlorine 10.3%. CYA is a little higher than I would like @ 50 ppm., Al 100, pH 7.5, CH 150. Usually bring up to 4-6 ppm FCl and the CCl is always less than .5 ppm. I am finding that if the tub is not occupied , I am losing about 4-5 ppm FCl over a 24 hour period. Tub is 3 months old, water has been flushed once, pipe cleaner was used and the water is crystal clear. Wondered if there a norm for loss of FCl for unoccupied time. Concerned that I may have biofilm in the pipes perhap , thus the FCl consumption ?

many thanks
sean

The minimum FC level for a CYA of 50 ppm should be 4 ppm. FC/CYA Levels

If you are bring up FC to 4-6 ppm and losing 4-5 ppm, then that means the lowest FC over a 24 hr period is close to 0 ppm. So you should never let FC get below 4 ppm. So if you lose 5 ppm overnight, then you really should be targeting 10-11 ppm when dosing.

Also, what is the temperature of the hot tub? Higher temperatures mean more FC is loss over time.

It seems a bit high for a pool but a 100F spa is completely different. Not sure what would be "normal" for that. Raise the FC levels and see if the loss is reduced. If the loss increases, then it is probably due to the water temperature. This is one of the reasons bromine is often used in standalone spas.

Thank-you, I had enquired earlier as to thought on the bromine alternative as bromine bank then floater/ periodic shocking process appealed to me.
Some folks, much more knowledgeable than I suggested that as i have 3 kids - 7,9 and 11, that bromine would have difficulty keeping up with the high bather load and that I should stick with the bleach method.

regards
sean

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi seanauld: Please follow the step by step instructions and be sure to wipe the gunk,as you see it collect on the shell. Use a wet towel and don't let this sticky gooey stuff dry on the shell Or it is more difficult to remove.

Hi seanauld: Please follow the step by step instructions and be sure to wipe the gunk,as you see it collect on the shell. Use a wet towel and don't let this sticky gooey stuff dry on the shell Or it is more difficult to remove.
So if you wipe down the "sticky gooey stuff" with a towel... is the towel trash then or is it washable? can you put it in the washing machine?

A.O. We always recommend an older towel or cloth because you can't tell beforehand just how much released gunk you'll be wiping away. Sure, if you want to keep the towel,for future cleanings you can wash it as normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.