Noob From North Texas

Tdubya

Mar 3, 2019
Dallas, TX
I’m about to close on a house with a non-swg pool and plan to try and maintain it myself. The equipment is in good shape, almost new as the pool was remodeled last year. The plaster is new and the pump is a Jandy variable speed with Polaris booster pump. I found this site through a friend who also maintains his pool with the help of this site and the good people who contribute.

Welcome @Tdubya ! If you haven't already, check out the quick info links in my sig and also go through "Pool School", it will make pool ownership/care as affordable and "easy" as it can be!

You are going to love having a pool! As soon as you know the closing date and that it is a go order your test kit for your new pool. Look in my siggy below for the link. I know your wallet is screaming right now with all new stuff with the house but believe me that a test kit of your own is cheaper than letting the pool store test your water for "free". Is it really free if you walk out with your arms full of stuff for the pool? NOPE! You can buy most of what you need for the pool at Target or Walmart!!!! Here is a link to show you what we use in our pools. Now do not go buy any of it yet as you might not need most of it: Trouble Free Pool

On think you can go ahead and do is look around in the area of the new pool/house. Do any of the pool stores there sell liquid chlorine? You might have to put a deposit down on the jugs but most of the time this is the cheapest way to go.

Read the links @splashpad shared with you and you will have a great start!

Kim:kim:

Thanks for warm welcome. As far as the test kit, it looks like the Tf-100 should do everything I’ll need. I looked up the filter on the equipment and it appears to be a cartridge type, Sta-Rite S8M150. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing but parts seem to be available through multiple sources if something breaks on it. The previous owners have been paying a monthly pool service and don’t have a Polaris so I guess I’ll need one of those as well. Any recommendations on a brand or model? Here’s a pic of the pool if that helps and we close on the 19th of this month.

Attachments

• 0C893548-48E0-468A-B185-43C2A368C5B8.jpeg
    0C893548-48E0-468A-B185-43C2A368C5B8.jpeg
    703.3 KB · Views: 9