Non-Poolcare related... Using TF-100 Calcium Hardness Test for Well Water

MT

Jun 27, 2013
Orange County, NY
It's cold here in New York, pool is closed for the Winter. We are on well water and have been renting a water softening system for many years. The never-ending monthly payments have caused me to look at buying a new unit and installing myself. First thing I need to calculate is the hardness of our well water. My question is, can I use the CH test in the TF-100 kit to do this? I understand the formula is:

# of gallons used per day x Hardness of water = # of "grains" water softener unit required.

For example:

Household uses 300 gallons/day x 150 hardness = 45,000 grains unit required

I'm noticing treatment systems are $400-$500 on the low end, but once you get over 50,000 grains needed they jump to over $1,000. We have a family of 4 and the meter shows we use about 200 gallons of water per day. But I want to make sure we don't outgrow any system I buy, so will err on the higher end.

Besides the hardness test, anyone have any advice in this area? Thanks and Happy Winter!

The Taylor just measures calcium hardness and not total hardness, total will be a bit more and for me it was close enough. I did a thread about this.

Short story just get a fleck 64000 grain off Amazon and diy install, easy, cheap, and a excellent unit that uses hardly any salt. I fill my pool with 240 ch and do all top ups with the softener and the ch lowers slowly over time.

Water Softeners For CH Control

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.