Noise from top mount Multiport Valve/Sand Filter

RGCO

Jun 23, 2019
Cambridge, Ontario
2nd year of owning an IG pool. First time opening it. I am getting a whooshing sound around the multiport valve and Its driving me nuts that I don't know what the issue is. I changed the sand in the filter and backwashed and rinsed before opening the pool. No leaks on the suction side, the pump lid shows zero bubbles. Only hear the noise while on filter. It goes away when I change to any other setting including recirculation so it makes me believe its something to do with the tank/sand/laterals/. PSI holds steady around 11 and over night it increases to 15 as I am in the process of slamming. backwash and rinse and its back to 10-11. The return jets blow strong altho i notice a very small amount of sand blowing into the pool.. The spider gasket looks okay. I do not notice any debris thats moving around on top of the sand i the tank either.

I'm wondering if that sound will go away once the SLAM is complete? It may simply be the odd effects of water restriction/outgassing from a dirty filter and/or algae? Those things can certainly cause a backlog of water flow, then you get that churning effect & sound you are describing. I get that in my pump basket when the filter is dirty. I would be curious to know if the sounds disappears once the SLAM is over.

By the way .... Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.