No winter cover??

I've closed my own in ground pool every year since new (4 years). I find the winter cover (the large, solid tarp type) is a pain. So hard to keep wind from getting under it. I've used the long vinyl water bags to secure all edges but they get leaks every year and I'm tired of repairing/ replacing them.
A friend of mine who has had an in ground pool in my area for many years told me that he no longer covers his in the winter. He's been winterizing without a cover for 5 years or more with no issues. I would love to do this but I'm afraid of running into problems. I drain down Just below returns, blow out and plug all lines. We have a long cold winter with lots of snow and extreme cold temps. My worries are damage to my skimmer and light niche (light removed, of course) if not covered. Even when covered, I've put some foam chunks in the skimmer for protection...
Any body else go without a cover in a freezing climate? Any advice?
Thanks

I didn't use one for 20 years and my yard is full of trees, daily scouping was my hobby lol. Spoiled myself on my next two pools and bought safety covers.

you are perfectly on track sir. I also use gizmo, then 1/2 gallon on antifreeze. I cut up an old pool noodle to 4' length. Then I trim it, so it will fit behind the gizmo and extend out the mouth.

I didn't use one for 20 years and my yard is full of trees, daily scouping was my hobby lol. Spoiled myself on my next two pools and bought safety covers.

you are perfectly on track sir. I also use gizmo, then 1/2 gallon on antifreeze. I cut up an old pool noodle to 4' length. Then I trim it, so it will fit behind the gizmo and extend out the mouth.

I probably should know... but what's a "gizmo"? Something for the skimmer, i assume?
What about the light niche?

Corey:

Gizzmo's are for the skimmers and are used for ice expansion. Extra insurance is foam rope inside the skimmer housing as well. Regarding your cover, I have a tarp. In order to minimize the wind underneath the cover, once you place on, add water. I stopped using water bags and gave my last 4 to my neighbor.

Purchased aqua blocks and filled them up with water (you could also place some antifreeze in them or even a little bit of bleach to help with freezing). Have had for 3 years and they are still in good shape. The aqua blocks have to be tight and at the end of the tarp away from the pool. This year, because the tops have a tendency to blow off, I purchased tie straps and place them on both ends. The straps are tight/loose enough to secure the cover and can be removed when dumping the water as well. It really minimizes the amount of wind under the cover.

Or you could go without a cover. I know that my pool would be a disaster in the spring. Cleanup is so simple with the tarp. In addition, without a cover you will have to close super late and open up super early. Good luck and keep us posted!

Another trick is to place a black hose after the aqua blocks, joined together and wrapped around the whole perimeter of the pool. Tucked next to the aqua blocks also helps with the wind. The hose will not lift up and blow into the pool or away. No water in the hose though.

I have not covered my pool in 6 years and have had no problems. IN fact I like to see the ice and even turn the LED lights on for xmas.

I also am in a forested area with lots of trees and just use a leaf net. Come spring I pull off the leaf net, clean up a bit and open.

I also use an algaecide.

May buy the 5k cover next year just for safety for new grandkids.

[/QUOTE]Purchased aqua blocks and filled them up with water (you could also place some antifreeze in them or even a little bit of bleach to help with freezing). Have had for 3 years and they are still in good shape. The aqua blocks have to be tight and at the end of the tarp away from the pool. This year, because the tops have a tendency to blow off, I purchased tie straps and place them on both ends. The straps are tight/loose enough to secure the cover and can be removed when dumping the water as well. It really minimizes the amount of wind under the cover.

Or you could go without a cover. I know that my pool would be a disaster in the spring.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! I might look into the aqua blocks ?. I always add water on top of the tarp... it's just between the water bags (or when they leak) that I have problems.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not covered my pool in 6 years and have had no problems. IN fact I like to see the ice and even turn the LED lights on for xmas.

I also am in a forested area with lots of trees and just use a leaf net. Come spring I pull off the leaf net, clean up a bit and open.

I also use an algaecide.

Now that's good to hear! You even leave the lights in?! How do they not get damaged by the ice? I'm really afraid of ice damaging my light niche...

Now that's good to hear! You even leave the lights in?! How do they not get damaged by the ice? I'm really afraid of ice damaging my light niche...

I only lower water below the skimmer (slightly). By the time real harsh weather sets in, the cover has filled up with about 6" of water. Sometimes, even the water is up to the top of the skimmer (on the cover of course). Your light will not be damaged under water, without freezing. It will take a tremendous amount of cold weather and time to freeze a pool over half a foot. Remember that you have the ground that insulates walls and below the patio as well. I have even seen water that did not freeze about 1" all the way around the cover near the pool. This must be due to the latent heat on the other side.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info! I might look into the aqua blocks ��. I always add water on top of the tarp... it's just between the water bags (or when they leak) that I have problems.

The reason why I do not use the water bags is that you never really remove all the water out of the bags. They are hard to clean and store. The aqua blocks can be washed, left out to dry in less than an hour in the sun, stacked on top of each other and easily stored in cardboard boxes. Tucked away somewhere until next year. The key is to secure the tops from blowing off.

You can do it. I have never covered my pool in the 13 years I've had it. Not too many trees near me and I find days during the winter mild enough to do some scooping and keep it fairly clean. I put gallon plastic jugs with a couple inches of sand in them in my skimmers for freeze expansion. I don't have lights. Having said all that, I'm sure your winters are a LOT colder than mine in Virginia!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Basically you will have to replicate the cover, so do some netting and scooping during the winter will save time and money in the spring. While your at it test your water and keep up the bleach in there and brush the pool to stir it around. This will replicate everything but extra uv exposure to your pool

I also use an algaecide.

That's a cool effect.. I have a customer that will have me remove his cover after thanksgivings, his leds are tied to stereo system & he turns his yard into super Christmas land.. a couple hard freeze years he had a nice little display on his pool, penguins reindeer and assorted blow mold.

Super cool stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.