No test kit and Pool Store recommendations are not working...

leafsfan34

Jun 4, 2019
London, Ontario Canada
Hi all!

I moved to a home last year and became a first time pool owner. Last summer, the pool consistently had what I think was algae. It was a very fine dust in light brown colour that gathered around in all the same spots (along the shallow end where the pool drops off to the deep end, around the rim of the bottom of the pool, etc.). I attempted to get rid of it based on the pool store's recommendations and did not have any luck. The first time they recommended shocking it with a lot of chlorine and vacuuming to waste. The second time I used some heavy duty chemical and repeated chlorine. The chlorine regiment seemed arbitrary though. This year I opened my pool and, while the water is clear, I still have the algae deposits in the exact same spots! In fact, in doing some reading on this forum, I'm confused as they've told me my CYC is good at 30 and I see that the recommendation for Salt water pools is 70 or 80.

At any rate, I unfortunately do not have a good test kit (based on the recommendations here) and my search is that it is nearly impossible to get one in Canada without paying a huge amount of money for it.

I'm very frustrated and am hoping this community can give me some good recommendations for next steps.

Welcome to the forum!
Without a proper test kit, it is quite difficult to manage your pool using TFPC. You can use the pool store methods, but that is up to you.
As London is quite close to the US border, getting a test kit shipped to a mail drop in the US and driving over to pick it up is available if you are interested.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.