No reading

Aug 3, 2016
Bedford, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
When we took the cover off, the pool was brown. I took a water sample to pool store. After 2 rounds of shock with algae all, then 20 pounds of chlorine, the pool is blue, cloudy and reading zero for both ph and chlorine. I ordered a kit but for now I'm using the 3 way test kit. I've taken samples 3 times to pool company. $300 later, still no reading. Any suggestions?

Welcome to posting on the forum!
What kit did you order?
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I received the test kit today
Here's my numbers:
FC .5
CC 1.0
CH 1000
ALK 200
CYA 50
PH 7.5
still cloudy but I can see floor drains.
I tried entering numbers in pool math but it's only calculating chlorine.
Recommendations are welcome! Thank you!

I had the info all typed-out before I realized your CH level. 1,000? Let's be sure of that one. 10 drops of #10, 3 drops of #11, then count each drop of #12 as 25 ppm for each drop. The solution should change from a light purple to a light baby blue. That baby blue is when you are done. Please report back with the CH one more time to be sure.

We'll come back to this stuff later (after the CH confirmation):
So with cloudiness and an elevated CC level it appears you have some algae trying to grow and a SLAM Process will be warranted. Can you update your signature please with all of your pool and equipment info to include the test kit you are now using? That will drive future replies.

For the water, lower the pH slightly to about 7.2 with muriatic acid, then increase your FC level to "20" using liquid chlorine which is your SLAM FC level per the FC/CYA Levels. Maintain that FC of 20 as best as you can day and evening until you pass all3 SLAM criteria. Stick to that SLAM page and you'll do fine.

Is your tap water very high in calcium? Do you have a water softener for your home? Or have you used Cal Hypo to chlorinate the pool water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this a vinyl liner pool? Regardless, you did not need to add the calcium chloride. That amount was 80 ppm CH. So a lot of calcium came from somewhere else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.