No pressure gauge on my sand filter

tuxedy

Jan 16, 2021
Rwanda
Hi all. I have a sand filter (Kenyan brand - I live in Africa) - and none of them have gauges. I used to backwash every 7-10 days or so, but knowing that a sand filter is more efficient when dirty, it's better to let it get a bit dirty.

Are there any ways to determine when I need to backwash other than a schedule? I've been slamming my pool for the last 5 days and we are almost near finishing in clarity, but I am afraid to backwash and loose some efficiency. Last time I backwashed was 2 weeks ago.

Usually when I backwash it's really dirty for 30 seconds, somewhat clear at 1min. I usually stop at 1min even though they say 2 mins. Always rinse (it's normal to always see some sand in the clear vial?)

Put in a flow meter after your filter. Then you can note what your normal flow rate is. When your flow rate decreases it indicates your filter needs cleaning.

thanks! do you have an example of what that might look like?

You can install a pressure gauge in the piping between the pump and filter. It will serve the same purpose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.